cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
marcokunzelmann
Level III

How to scale each column?

Hello everyone,

I have a simple question, I want to scale each column in a data table. So that each value of the same column is divided by the standard deviation of the column.

Of course I can use the formula editor therefore if I have only a few columns, unfortunately I have over 1000 columns. So it would be great to have a function/tool in JMP which allows me to do that with all columns iterative. So that all values in column 2 are divided by the standard deviation of column 2 and so on.

I really searched for over 2 hours by myself to solve that problem, which can be solved in excel so easy. So I'm pretty sure there have to be an easy solution.

It would be great if someone can help me!

Greetings!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to scale each column?

You can use Cols->Standardize Attributes... to do this.

First, use Cols->Add Multiple Columns... to add all the columns you'll need to hold your transformations.

Then, select all the newly added columns and choose Cols->Standardize Attributes....

In the Standardize Attributes dialog choose Column Properties->Formula in the Standardize Properties section and check the Substitute Column Reference option.

8949_Pasted_Image_6_16_15__10_44_AM.png

Then click the Edit Formula button. You'll be creating the formula for the first column in the selected columns and JMP will substitute any column references you use in the formula based on the relative position of the columns in the data table.

-Jeff

-Jeff

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

You can use Cols->Standardize Attributes... to do this.

First, use Cols->Add Multiple Columns... to add all the columns you'll need to hold your transformations.

Then, select all the newly added columns and choose Cols->Standardize Attributes....

In the Standardize Attributes dialog choose Column Properties->Formula in the Standardize Properties section and check the Substitute Column Reference option.

8949_Pasted_Image_6_16_15__10_44_AM.png

Then click the Edit Formula button. You'll be creating the formula for the first column in the selected columns and JMP will substitute any column references you use in the formula based on the relative position of the columns in the data table.

-Jeff

-Jeff
Craige_Hales
Super User

thanks Jeff. A JSL-free solution!

Craige
KarenC
Super User (Alumni)

Very Cool and easy. I have achieved similar results by "cheating", that is opening graph builder, transforming my columns and then adding the transformations into my tables.  The advantage to that "cheat" is that you get column names. But still no scripting involved.

However, the "Substitute Column Reference" option is a gem. Just "fixed" 6 column formulas by "fixing" one!

nac
nac
Level III

Hi,

I also have similar problem. I want to divide all of the first 10 columns to Column 11 and multiply them with 100

Column 1 / Column 11*100, 

Column 2 / Column 11*100

Column 3 / Column 11*100....

Column 10

Is there a simple way of doing this?

marcokunzelmann
Level III

A bit late from my side, but thanks for the answer!