cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to record data preparation steps to data table

Hi,

I have a series of scripts which help a user clean up the data and gathers some background information. It has already been answered how to save this data to the same folder as the data tables​ either from a platform or the log. I can also save limited data as table variable but not something like an associative array.

If I want to ensure this meta-data is kept within the data table is the best option to use an Expression column where its properties are set to hidden to store how the data has been manipulated and the background details?

Is there another way?

How do you ensure the table meta-table is kept with the data table? How do you track what operations have been done to a data table without saving multiple copies? In a spreadsheet you might put this information on another sheet.

Thanks,

Stephen

2 REPLIES 2
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: How to record data preparation steps to data table

I couldn't tell if you wanted to store the operations that a table has been subject to to get to its current state, or the changes in the data that result from such operations (or maybe both). Your mention of 'another sheet' makes me think it's perhaps the latter. If that's the case, and given that you can generate a table from a script (which can be stored in the table), one could imagine a set of saved 'history scripts' that reconstitute the data as it was at some point in the past.

But I think a few more details would be good to help folks give better recommendations . . .

Re: How to record data preparation steps to data table

I am interested in capturing the thinking and decision processes as a user explores a data set. Potentially this could include a record of which scripts were run on the table (but not the scripts). I was thinking of providing some decision prompts or analysis suggestions based on past choices and the choice outcomes would be best to recorded to the data table.

Rather than wanting to roll back the table to a previous state, I hope to understand how it got to its current state. The notes property of the columns could be used to capture some details, as can the table properties.

I am curious if this is something others have done already, or there is a feature within JMP that can store a commentary about a table within the table rather than as a supporting file (which can get lost in sharing).