cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
sfkeydel
Level III

How to populate additional column with a quantile value

Hello,

Is there a simple column formula that will populate the quantile of a value in a different column?

For example:

I have a column with the following values [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]. I would like to create a new column that will simply hold the quantile value of each of the values in my original column.

I tried the quantile function in the Column Properties dialogue, but that doesn't seem to be the answer (or I'm using it incorrectly).

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
XanGregg
Staff

Re: How to populate additional column with a quantile value

JMP's Quantile functions work the other way around: given a quantile value they produce a data value. If you plot the quantile function (script below), you'll see it has flat spots, which makes it hard to define the inverse function that you want.

You can get close with (Col Rank( : x ) - 1) / (N Row() - 1), but ties are arbitrarily ordered.

The Ranking Tie() function will average ties together, but requires more set-up since it's not a "Col" function.

sfkeydel
Level III

Re: How to populate additional column with a quantile value

Xan,

Much appreciated. I'll experiment with this. One of my colleagues suggested a workaround which, as it happens, is good enough for what I'm trying to do:

If(:Callback % >= Col Quantile(:Callback %, 0.75), "Upper", "Normal")

Thanks again!

Stefan