cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
whallon
Level I

How to open data files from earlier versions?

I recently upgraded to JMP Pro 14. Now I can't open most of my older data files (not that old, not back to v. 1, some go back to JMP 5, but most are much more recent). I trashed my older versions of JMP. Is there a way to somehow open older JMP data files and save them in this new version? Thanks for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
chowfras
Level I

Re: How to open data files from earlier versions?

I see that no one has answered this question.  I have the exact problem.  Does anyone know how to recover these files?  Since I still have older JMP versions I have bought in the past and installed on older Macs, I tried to install them on my laptop and encountered "exceeded maximum installation" error message. All I want to do is recover my files.  I don't want to use the older software.  I really hope someone can assist me.

statman
Super User

I just checked with my version I can open JMP files from 1995 (funny I tried to attach it, but it won't let me 

).  My Version 1 files would open, but the data was missing.

Can you attach a file you can't open?  What are the file names?

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 3.49.42 PM.png

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
chowfras
Level I

After a lot of cyber gymnastics, I was able to open the files in JMP 3.1.5 on a computer that runs Classic 9 but it couldn't export in a version that could be read by newer versions.  I then re-installed version 4.0 on that computer and then opened with v. 3 and copied and pasted contents into JMP 4.  I then opened it with JMP 17.  It took me a whole day.  And I have hundreds of old files like that.  I tried to attach the file that I was unable to open up which was created in 2003, but it wouldn't upload.

What about exporting them in a standard file format and skipping the intermediate steps? Also, scripting was started in JMP 4, so you might be able to automate the process and save yourself a lot of manual effort.