cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
‘New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit – register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
miguello
Level VI

How to open CSV file in JMP from Windows Explorer Context Menu

I open a lot of CSV files in JMP.

Usually I need to do that from Windows Explorer window.

So going to JMP, clicking "Open" button and navigating to a long network path is not very handy.

What I do now is I bring up the main JMP window next to my Explorer window and just drag CSV file to JMP window.

Any way to just right click CSV file in Explorer and choose something like "Open with JMP"...

I know this would require tweaking registry, and also will need to do something to open in existing JMP instance, rather than starting a new JMP isntance.

Anybody dome anything like that?

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to open CSV file in JMP from Windows Explorer Context Menu

You can already right click on a .xlsx file and select "Open With".  If this is the first time you will be doing this, you will select

Open With=>Choose another App=>Choose and App on your PC

and then navigate to the jmp.exe 

After the first time you do this, the JMP.exe should appear in the primary selection window after you select "Open With"

Jim
miguello
Level VI

Indeed, after doing that once or twice, I now have that option in "Open with..."

The problem is - it opens a new instance of JMP for that. 

a) I normally need to join\update with other files in my main instance, and

b) Having 20+ instances in an hour is too much for me  

Any way to force opening in the same instance?

txnelson
Super User

Then, just open the File Explorer inside JUMP with

file=pick file();
open(file);

and add this little script to the tool bar and you will then have the same features as File Explorer

Jim