Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How to make "private" a platform report

matteo_patelmo

Community Trekker

Dec 23, 2015

Hello, this question is a follow-up of a previous one of mine solved by txnelson (thanks!).

I would like now to make a boosted tree report "private" so that the script user will not see anything in the window list of what is going on.  Is there a way to create just the object "Partition" (or any other platform by the way) and completely hide the report (==> private), while being able to extract informations from it in the background?

thanks
Matteo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Solution

The second method I gave in my previous reply does not create an entry in the JMP Home Windows List.  Here is a better example of the same technique, pulling out the max value of the axis setting.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp" ,private);
vlb = V List Box( biv = dt << bivariate( x( :height ), y( :weight ) ) );

show(Report( biv )[axis box( 1 )] << get min);
Jim
6 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

All platforms (there might be one or two exceptions) can be made "invisible" by adding that keyword as one of the parameters of the platform.

xxx = bivariate( invisible, x(.....),y(.....));

All of the items that can be manipulated for each of the platforms are detailed in the Scripting Index.

Help==>Scripting Index

Also, a platform call can be embedded into an object, such as a Vertical List Box, which on it's own will not display the results, but can be displayed later in the script by adding the object to a display window

MyVLB = V List Box( xxx = bivariate( invisible, x(.....),y(.....)); );

// now you can have whatever other jsl you need and

// and then when the script wants to disply the bivariate results

// one can just do that

nw = New Window("the window", HH = H List Box());

HH << append( MyVLB);

Jim
matteo_patelmo

Community Trekker

Dec 23, 2015

Thanks, but an invisible platform still is "visible" in the home window window list.  My objective would be to make it totally invisible and inaccessible to the user.

is this possible?

thanks

Matteo

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

Solution

The second method I gave in my previous reply does not create an entry in the JMP Home Windows List.  Here is a better example of the same technique, pulling out the max value of the axis setting.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/big class.jmp" ,private);
vlb = V List Box( biv = dt << bivariate( x( :height ), y( :weight ) ) );

show(Report( biv )[axis box( 1 )] << get min);
Jim
matteo_patelmo

Community Trekker

Dec 23, 2015

Thanks, I see. By launching the platform inside a display box, it is kept private. 

I will try this solution in my script.

thanks a lot.

Matteo

markbailey

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

Generally, we use invisible platforms as a compute engine. We launch it, get what we want, and close it. This action is usually so fast that the user is unaware and incapable of noticing it appear in the Window menu or the Home list. Is there a reason that you need to keep the platform open?

It is easy to open one when you need it and then close it, many times if necessary.

matteo_patelmo

Community Trekker

Dec 23, 2015

Hello Mark, when the data set is big enough I do see the boosted tree or PLS running in the JMP Home Window List even if they are declared invisible and I close the report right after extracting the infos I need. When running many times in a for loop, I get a blinking effect in the background which I don't like, that's all.  I need some time to implement the suggestion from txnelson since right now I'm not launching the platforms inside a dedicated display box , which , if I understand correctly, is the trick.  Of course a "private" keyword like the one available for data tables would be great!

thanks
Matteo