Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MahaRabeh
Level II

How to have graph bars on the exact x value

Hi,

I created a graph to show the number of claims received by date.

For this case there is one claim received on the 24th June 2019. 

Why is the bar not indicating the right date but showing an interval (even though bar style is side by side and width proportion is 0 )?  How to change it to show the exact date? Needle bar style is not an option as the bar is too thin and not easily readable.

Thanks.

MahaRabeh_0-1648640403123.png

@martindemel 

7 REPLIES 7
DI
DI
Level II

Re: How to have graph bars on the exact x value

Hi,

Have you tried to change the date column to "nominal" instead of "continuous" data?

MahaRabeh
Level II

Yes i tried that but the problem is that i need to have the x-axis as continuous dates incremented by month.

If you do want to use the needle bar you can change the width to something that might be more easily viewable by your audience:

Right click on the blue box in the legend to change the width.

Joseph_Reese_0-1648644765462.png

MahaRabeh
Level II

Those are the options i see when i right click on the legend: 

MahaRabeh_0-1648645550374.png

None of those changes the width.

Did you first change it to a needle plot and then right click on that area? Interestingly, it seems if you have a variable in the Color section you can't change the width but if you have no Color variable or use Overlay instead it should give you the option to change the Line Width.

MahaRabeh
Level II

True, it works with Overlay. But Overlay doesn't provide the same color identification as color section.. 

That is a good point and I can understand the challenge. Here is one additional item to consider. You could add a Marker element to your graph and only have that be the element that is colored by your variable. Then adjust the width of the needle bar and marker sizes/types to suit your preferences. I am going to call this a Matchstick plot since they look like little matchsticks:)

Joseph_Reese_2-1648653850964.png