Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How to get rid of a column's "yellow tag"

djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Does anyone know what this "yellow tag" means next to a column (numeric, continuous)?  I've attached pic of it. 

How to get rid of it as it won't let me transpose this column?.  thx!  dj

7 REPLIES
djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

ok, I think I figured this out.  I believe this "yellow tag" is just the denoter for "<<set label columns", which I do to the original data table.  So I'm going to reset that before transposing and see if that does the trick.

So I think that if one has a column that is part of "<<set label columns" JSL will not perform a transpose on it...

gail_massari

Community Manager

Feb 27, 2013

That is the label icon.  It allows you to see the column name (label) in a graph after you run an analysis, and then select a point from the labeled column in the resulting graph.  Right click on the column name to add and delete (toggle) labels from the list of column options.

3981_table_with_column_labeled.jpg

The label shows up on the data table, and not always on the column list on other associated graphs. (For example, the label icon for Campaign Name does not display on the Variables (column list) window in the attached graph I ran using Graph Builder).

3982_viewing_labeled_Campaign_Name_for_point_selected_in_graph.jpg

djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks Gail.  I did confirm, that transpose does not work on any columns involved with <<set label columns in the master data table. 

Maybe this makes sense or has something to do with having to lock out the column if the column's value subsequently changed I suppose?

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Hi DJ,

Having a column assigned as a Label role shouldn't cause a problem in the Transpose.

Are you getting an error message, or is the result of the transpose different from what you expect?

With some more detail we can probably figure out what's going on.

Thanks!

-Jeff

-Jeff
djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Hi Jeff, no error message, it just didn't transpose the column with the Label attached to it (it transposed all other columns without Labels just fine though - just skipped the one with the Label I should say).  But I've got a workaround, I simply reset the Label command prior to transposing. 

Here's a synopsis if you care:

Rough JSL (same concept as below in this order):

1. dt_Main (main table), say it has Header1, character, nominal and Col1, Col2, Col3, Col4, Col5, Col6 columns, all numeric, continuous.

2. dt_Main<<set label columns(Col2); for example   then I get a nice mouse hover over of its value in the next variability chart.

3. Plot dt_Main as Variability Chart(Y(:Col2), X(:Header1))... so one of the columns with set label columns is actively being plotted (if this matters)

4. dt_Main<<transpose(Columns(Col1,Col2,Col3,Col4,Col5,Col6),Output Table Name("Transpose Table"));  ...to make another table for another plot, table needs transposed values for plot.

Result:

Col1,Col3,Col4,Col5,Col6 all transpose fine, but it skips transposing Col2 and doesn't display it in the transposed table.

My Workaround:

My workaround is to do a step 3b. above, where I do dt_Main<<set label columns(Header1), just so that I remove the Label off of the Col2, data column.  It's happy   So am I

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks for the clarification.

It looks like a bug, where JMP is using the column in the Label() role for Transpose even when you don't specify it in the JSL.

We'll see if we can get it addressed in a future release.

-Jeff

-Jeff
djhanson

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

Thanks Jeff!  It is pretty obscure what I'm doing and I've got the workaround.  But do appreciate your help as always