cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
jayv_
Level I

How to extract only numeric values out of text string

I have a large data table which has a  column containing char text.    An example of the text  description is  listed below.

I need to do some descriptive statistics on the duration to open/close for the robot. 

I would like to extract the numeric portion of the character string and put it in a new column with numeric data type.

Is there a formula function I could use to do that  on a brand new column ?

Sample text

: Valve Movement to "CLOSE" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "1.530000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "CLOSE" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "2.030000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "CLOSE" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "2.010000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "CLOSE" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "2.510000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "CLOSE" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "2.215000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "CLOSE" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "2.215000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "OPEN" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "3.160000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "OPEN" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "3.160000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "CLOSE" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "1.815000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "CLOSE" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "1.815000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "OPEN" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "3.140000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "OPEN" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "3.140000" Secs

: Valve Movement to "OPEN" position Completed. Time Taken for Movement "2.955000" Secs

11 REPLIES 11
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to extract only numeric values out of text string

This will work for the variable lengths

Num( Word( 1, SITEPOS, "XY" ) );
// and
Num( Word( 2, SITEPOS, "XY" ) );
Jim
jerryspilTC
Level III

Re: How to extract only numeric values out of text string