Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
anne_sa
Level V

How to duplicate a report without rerunning the analysis

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if there is a way to duplicate a report without rerunning the correponding analysis (for timing issue).

I know that the Clone Box exists however, except if I am wrong, it will just create a "picture" of the report: no more interaction between table and graphs and no more access to the red triangle menu options... And I would like to keep these nice features available :)

Do you know if it is feasible to do that?

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: How to duplicate a report without rerunning the analysis

Analysis objects do not have a "clone" capability.  You are correct that <<Clone Box or <<Journal will both copy the report, but not the analysis object.  Methods of duplicating the analysis, like <<Redo Analysis, will result in a full recalculation using the script for the analysis object.

Highlighted
anne_sa
Level V

Hi @danschikore ,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately it confirms what I have found so far but it is good to clarify.

Highlighted
ron_horne
Super User

Hi @anne_sa 

assuming the time issue is that you are using a data set that keeps updating, one way would be to duplicate the data set in a way it will be "stuck" in time. This way, the results of any (re)calculation are fixed in time.

Alternatively, you can add a data filter that will make the data reflect a specific moment in time.

If these ideas do not help please provide more information about the source of the problem.

Ron

Highlighted
anne_sa
Level V

Hi @ron_horne ,

Thanks for your reply. When I talk about "time issue" I mean caculation time. My table is fixed but the creation of the report can take a while. The idea was to create several similar reports without having to run the calculations several times. I hope it is clearer like that.

Highlighted
P_Bartell
Level VI

One way to accomplish what you are after might be to create the initial report and then keep that report as a tabbed page in a JMP Project. Then as needed if you need 'new' reports with more data or other elements, you can create that subsequent report as needed? Just a thought?

Highlighted
anne_sa
Level V

Hi @P_Bartell ,

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry but I am not sure to correctly understand what you mean. You suggest to create the report in a project and to keep it open. Then what is the next step? We can indeed add new reports or data in the project but my objective is to create a "copy" of the first report without having to redo the associated calculations. Is there a particular way to handle that within a project?

Highlighted
P_Bartell
Level VI

@anne_sa: I like to think of JMP Projects as a container and content organizing capability that enhance a JMP user's productivity when working on a work project. JMP Projects can contain lots of different elements, both JMP and non JMP orginated. JMP data tables, reports, scripts, applications, dashboards, and REPORTS are all able to be saved within the container called the JMP Project. So it's there that you can retain the copy of a report. One way to retain the copy is as a tabbed entry in the project interface. I think the beauty of this method is the full JMP functionality within the report (hot spots, right click magic, etc.) follow along with the report...and it sounds like this is important to you. You do have to be running JMP 14...this JMP Project magic was introduced with version 14. See here in the JMP online documentation for the workflow and an example:

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14-2/create-a-project.shtml

Highlighted
anne_sa
Level V

Hi @P_Bartell ,

I use JMP projects from time to time and you are right that's a nice way to gather and play with different files. However I still do not see how it could solve my current problem. The reports are organized in tabs rather than in separated windows, but how could it help to display twice a given report and to run the calculations only once? I am sorry if my explanations are not clear...

Highlighted
P_Bartell
Level VI

I see what you are trying to do...yes, I see how using JMP Projects doesn't completely fulfill what you are trying to do. My thought was around running an analysis at time 1, then 'saving' that analysis report as a tab in a project. Then, at a later time, with new data perhaps, executing the same analysis, but still retaining the full report from time 1...but now having easy access to both reports in the context of the Project.

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.