cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Thierry_S
Super User

How to create a custom color gradient legend in the Fit Y by X platform?

Dear JMP Community,

Is it possible to create a customized color gradient legend using the Fit Y by X platform? 

I tried the basic Row Legend with a continuous setting but I cannot find a way to edit the min, middle, and max levels (as it can be done in the GB platform). I also tried the Value Color method but I can only get the legend for every single value plotted on the graph.

Note: I work with JMP 13.1 on PC Win 10

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
5 REPLIES 5
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How to create a custom color gradient legend in the Fit Y by X platform?

Hi @Thierry_S,

I think you'll get more help if you include more precise information and some screenshots of what you're trying to do.  Where in Fit Y by X are you wanting to implement a color gradient?  What kinds of variables are you plotting?  Can you provide a minimum working example we can use to help you find a solution?

-- Cameron Willden
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Cameron,

Good point: here is more information

I have a scatter plot Y by X both continuous, and I would like to color code each point by Z (continuous). Based on previous experience, I know that Z ranges from 2 to 14 with a middle point at 8. Is it possible to modify the default color assignment produced by Row Legend to assign the highest color to 14 instead of 12.5?

Y by X Color by Z GRADIENT.png

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
cwillden
Super User (Alumni)

Hi @Thierry_S,

Thanks for the clarification.  I have an idea, though it's a bit of a kluge. Just add 2 rows to your table with values 2 and 14 in column Z.  If you don't put values for X and Y, they won't be plotted, but they will still be used to create the legend and set the end points for the color gradient.  Hope that helps!

-- Cameron Willden
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi Cameron,

Thanks for providing this work around. I will have to create a new column for this to work because currently my Z column is a formula.

Best regards,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
mikedriscoll
Level VI

Right click on the z column in the table, click on column info, and add color gradient property. You can set the min / max / center.

Edit: I thought you were trying to do this in graph builder but I mis read it. My method worked for GB but I'm not sure about the fit y by x.