Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How to assign a String to be used for reports in a table?

mri

Community Trekker

May 19, 2015

I know that this is probably a basic question, but I cannot find the proper search term in the discussion.

Let's say I have a Column Sex with values M and F.

In my bar graph I want to use Gender, male and female.

There are many ways to do this, recode being an example, but is there a built in function to do this where I do not have to either change the values of the existing column or create a new column?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

I think Value Labels would work. To add Value Labels to the column, right click on the column heading and select Column Info. Select Value Labels in the Column Properties combo box menu. Assign labels to each value of the data in the column.

Now, when you create a bar graph, the value labels should show up instead of the actual data values in the table.

Best,

Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development
3 REPLIES
Solution

I think Value Labels would work. To add Value Labels to the column, right click on the column heading and select Column Info. Select Value Labels in the Column Properties combo box menu. Assign labels to each value of the data in the column.

Now, when you create a bar graph, the value labels should show up instead of the actual data values in the table.

Best,

Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development
mri

Community Trekker

May 19, 2015

Awesome... Thanks...

That's exactly what I was looking for ...

Any idea if it is possible for the column label also?

michael_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

You can change the name of the column (axis) label by double-clicking on it and changing the value of Axis Name in the resulting dialog window.

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development