cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to Express Tabulate results as percentages of row totals

Hi,

I am using Tabulate to summarise raw categorical data table. This works well but I would like the results expressed as percentages of row totals.
The raw table format is columns with Date, Failure Mode ("OK", "Chips", "Flakes" etc). Result should be a row for each day and a column for each failure mode, so each row contains % "OK", % "Chips", % "Flakes" for each day.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
chungwei
Staff (Retired)

Re: Pivot table in JMP

Drag Failure Mode to drop zone for row (as a grouping column).
Drop Date on top of N (again, use Date as a grouping column ).
Drag % of Total under (or over, depends on which you want to come first) the label Date.
Drag "Date" from the column heading and drop it onto "% of Total".
Alternatively, you can drag Date from your column list and drop it onto "% of Total".
The idea is to drop the name "Date" to "% of Total" to let tabulate know that you want to use its total for the denominator.

The following script will generate the table that I think you want -

Tabulate(
Add Table(
Column Table(
Grouping Columns( :Date ),
Statistics( Name( "% of Total" )(Date) )
),
Row Table( Grouping Columns( :Failure Mode ) )
)
);

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
chungwei
Staff (Retired)

If you have Date on your Column heading, drag Date and drop onto % of Total label.
That should give you row %.

Hi,

Do you mean drag "% of total" into drop zone for rows, then drag date column onto the "% of total" label in the same drop zone for rows..? This gives %s of the total table contents, not %s of row totals. Or do you mean drag date column onto % of total ...? This does not appear to do anything (square cursor, then nothing)
chungwei
Staff (Retired)

Drag Failure Mode to drop zone for row (as a grouping column).
Drop Date on top of N (again, use Date as a grouping column ).
Drag % of Total under (or over, depends on which you want to come first) the label Date.
Drag "Date" from the column heading and drop it onto "% of Total".
Alternatively, you can drag Date from your column list and drop it onto "% of Total".
The idea is to drop the name "Date" to "% of Total" to let tabulate know that you want to use its total for the denominator.

The following script will generate the table that I think you want -

Tabulate(
Add Table(
Column Table(
Grouping Columns( :Date ),
Statistics( Name( "% of Total" )(Date) )
),
Row Table( Grouping Columns( :Failure Mode ) )
)
);

Hi Reg,

If you want %of each type out of the row total, I think you can try on the menu Analyze--> Fit Y by X. If your row and column data are categorical data, this platform will give you the contingency table. Hope this helps. I only know that the Tabulate platform can calculate the % of Total, but not % of each row.
chungwei
Staff (Retired)

Tabulate can give you row %, column %. The problem is that it does not have those commands in the list. To get those 2 statistics, you indicate to tabulate the denominator that you want tabulate to use. There is an earlier post that gave a more detailed description. You can do a search on the keyword "tabulate".

I see what you are saying. Yes, tabulate can do the same thing!

Thanks to everyone. Finally I made interactive tabulate work....

Thanks, contingency table works... but I see no option to convert to data table...?

For tabulate I think I have to conclude JMP8 does not have the functionality

rgds