Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How to Automate JMP scripting by binding it in a key ?

xerxesvladymir

Community Trekker

Jul 25, 2015

Hello JMP Scripting experts !

I would like to ask an advice on how to set a JMP script applicable for all that files that will be opened and putting this script into a keybind . Let say pressing Ctrl+R , i can activate this script anytime and at all files that is opened.

My purpose is to collect the full path name of any files that i open and automatically and paste it to my clipboard. From there i can easily get this information and paste it in my ppt package. This is improtant because lt will be easier to monitor once i have collected the filename and full path and record it in the specific package i previously refer to. For us doing data analysis, looking for files and finding its location is difficult after long time we didnt get back to it. And for several versions we did , we might forget which one we put in our package. So i would like to add this method so i can get back to it easily.

Another option though, if the first item is not possible... Is it possible to set a script to JMP to log any new file that is opened into a text file? From there i can extract the complete path name and filename for the opened files and paste it to my ppt package.

Hope to hear from your ideas... Thanks !

regards,

xerxes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

The "Save Session Script..." facility may help you here. Start a JMP session, open a few files and do some manipulations, then select this command from the "File" menu and save the file to your desktop. Next open this saved file and inspect it to see what it contains. You could use "LoadTextFile()" to load the contents of this file into a JSL variable, and then parse this to recover the paths to the files you opened.

4 REPLIES
Solution

The "Save Session Script..." facility may help you here. Start a JMP session, open a few files and do some manipulations, then select this command from the "File" menu and save the file to your desktop. Next open this saved file and inspect it to see what it contains. You could use "LoadTextFile()" to load the contents of this file into a JSL variable, and then parse this to recover the paths to the files you opened.

xerxesvladymir

Community Trekker

Jul 25, 2015

Thanks Ian for the idea. Let me try it and work on it. I beleive this would put me a lot of flexbility learning ur method. Thank u very much for this advice!

michael_jmp

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

You might be able to create an add-in to do the steps you want automated. Then if the add-in is in the Add-Ins menu, you can use Customize Menus and Toolbars to create a keyboard shortcut to run the add-in.

See: JMP Add-Ins & Step 5 of the example here: Personalize Toolbars and Menus on Windows.

Regards,

Michael

Michael Crotty
Sr Statistical Writer
JMP Development
xerxesvladymir

Community Trekker

Jul 25, 2015

Hi Michael,

I never thought if this one... most of my automation done in VBA excel, ppt were all in Addins. It never came to my mind that JMP has this similar capability. Thank you very much and i believe this will be a good solution for this problem and can help extend the JMP capability at many ways and empower the user more. So many thanks!

I want to tag this as correct answer also, but as i see we are limited to just one time. Anyhow, this is a correct answer too.Thanks.

regards,

xerxes