Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How do I get my Import Ad-In to import a specific column as a set data and modeling type

EFarrell

Occasional Contributor

Nov 8, 2016

Hi,

I am very new to JMP 12 and JLS. Please bear with me.

I use an Import Ad-In "Import Logs V3.49" to upload my results into JMP. It always uploads the results column as Data Type "Character " and Modeling type "Nominal"

This is fine when I am manually doing analysis as I can easily change it, but I am trying to create a script for common calculations and would like that column to upload as Data Type "Numeric " and Modeling type "Continuous" with a fixed Decimal point place of 2, so I can quickly run any file though my script. How can I get the ad-in to do this?

Thank you,

Elaina

4 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

The Add-in "Import Logs V3.49" is unfamiliar to me. I am assuming it is something supplied by your company. You need to work with the author to make the changes you want.
However, even with the data being loaded the way it is, you can change the Data Type and Modeling type, and then the format. And that can either be done interactively or with a script.
Jim
EFarrell

Occasional Contributor

Nov 8, 2016

Thank you for the quick response.

I have tried a test which has not worked very well. I uploaded the results, changed the data types and then did a simple analysis for mean, SD and CV. I then saved the script from this work, and tried to run a similar file though it (a file I uploaded to JMP but did not make any manual changes to). This did not work. It did not give any results in the mean, SD and CV columns in the table. I had a look at the script and could not see anything about changing the column type in it (Please see below for full script generated). Can you advise how I can use JMP to generate a script to change the data types in columns?

Tabulate(

Show Control Panel( 0 ),

Set Format(

Mean( :RESULT( 12, 2 ), :RESULT( 12, 2 ) ),

Std Dev( :RESULT( 12, 2 ), :RESULT( 12, 2 ) ),

CV( :RESULT( 12, 2 ), :( 12, 2 ) ),

N( 9, "Best" )

),

Add Table(

Column Table( Statistics( N ) ),

Column Table( Analysis Columns( :REPORTED_RESULT ), Statistics( Mean ) ),

Column Table( Analysis Columns( :REPORTED_RESULT ), Statistics( Std Dev ) ),

Column Table( Analysis Columns( :REPORTED_RESULT ), Statistics( CV ) ),

Row Table( Grouping Columns( :SAMPLE_ID ) )

)

);

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

The Tabulate Platform isn't going to make the changes to the data table. Those changes will have to be made to the data table. And then the Tabulate Platform can be run on the data table. If you don't want to manually make the changes to the data table, then a script will need to be written to make the changes.
Jim
EFarrell

Occasional Contributor

Nov 8, 2016

Hi,

I cannot easily get the ad-in changed so it formats the column the way I need it. I think I will have to try to script this myself. It would be advantageous to know how to do this, as I  work on serveral projects which have significant formatting in the data table, before I run an analysis. It would be great if there was a way to combine scripts for fomatting a data table and analysis.

I could fix the current issue if I can get my analysis script to first create a new column in the uploaded data table with the following parameters;

New Column("test", Numeric, "Continuous", Format("Fixed Dec", 12, 2), Formula(Round(:RESULT, 2)), Set Selected)),

I have tried this a few ways and it is not working for me (most likely because I am a complete novice at programming languages or JLS). Can you advise the best course of action here?

Kind regards,

EFarrell