BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
marjolein

Community Trekker

Dec 30, 2014

How do I create a model with a defined profile as a factor?

Hi all,

I have a question regarding DoE design. 

Normally, I use continuous factors with fixed values for 0, -1, +1, with the custom design DoE. However, I now have to create a model for a cell culture process (duration is multiple days), where one of the input factors has a profile at the lower range (the other factors will be fixed values for 0, -1, +1). Can someone explain to me how I can design this model? 

further more, what would be preferred, from a statistical point of view: 

1) keep upper range fixed and centerpoint fixed, so only profile for lower range

or

2) have same shape profile for upper range and centerpoint as used for -1

I have plotted scenenario 1 and 2 in the attached file as I cannot add the pictures in this message. 

any help is very welcome, I very much look forward to your response/ideas

kind regards,

Marjolein

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Andrea_

Not applicable

Oct 28, 2018

Solution

Re: How do I create a model with a defined profile as a factor?

Hi Marjolein,

yes, the categorical factor wouldn't follow a profile, but it doesn't have to. Just create a categorical factor with three levels:

Factor NameRoleValues  
XCategoricalL1 = profile 1L2 = profile 2L3 = profile 3

The profiles don't have to be the same, each can follow an unique time-program. The "mid-level" (profile 2) doesn't have to be the "center-point" as you showed in your Word-file in figure 2. You can take the profiles as in figure 1.

Regards,

Andrea

3 REPLIES 3
Andrea_

Not applicable

Oct 28, 2018

Hello Marjolein,

as far as I know, there is no preferred profile from the "statistical point of view". You have a categoric factor which is the profile. The question is: Which version does make more sense for the cell culture process and the purpose of your experiment?

Regards,
Andrea

marjolein

Community Trekker

Dec 30, 2014

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your reply! 

Can you explain a bit further how you would apply categorical variables to make the profile in time? I assumed that the levels for the categorical factors will be same value throughout process time, so its then not creating a profile over time.

kind regards, Marjolein

Andrea_

Not applicable

Oct 28, 2018

Solution

Hi Marjolein,

yes, the categorical factor wouldn't follow a profile, but it doesn't have to. Just create a categorical factor with three levels:

Factor NameRoleValues  
XCategoricalL1 = profile 1L2 = profile 2L3 = profile 3

The profiles don't have to be the same, each can follow an unique time-program. The "mid-level" (profile 2) doesn't have to be the "center-point" as you showed in your Word-file in figure 2. You can take the profiles as in figure 1.

Regards,

Andrea