cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How do I add error bars to bivariate fit (y by x)?

I am plotting line graphs using analyze>fit y by x. I get a series of points that I then group by treatment and fit each value. I have been unable to get a nice line graph with error bars. I am currently exporting the data back into excel in order to get this graph. Any advice??
4 REPLIES 4
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How do I add error bars to bivariate fit (y by x)?

jlenn,

I'm not clear on what you're looking for.

If you're fitting each value, you are, essentially, connecting the points. There's no error to represent.

What should the error bars represent in this case?

Jeff
-Jeff

If you are fitting a line to a bivariate and want the confidence curves fit, go to the red triangle next to the fit description below the graph. This will give you the option to do either confidence curves fit or confidence shaded fit (same fits, different look).
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

To generate a line graph with y error bars you can use the Chart-platform under the Graph-menu. Select the line chart from the options in the lower left corner. As X select your treatments, and as Y select your data with the "Mean" option (if you also want individual points in your graph select your Y's twice: as "Data "and as "Mean").

Then in the resulting graph under the red triangle there is the option to add error bars for the mean. You will be prompted to choose from standard error, standard deviation, confidence limits etc.

I tried this with the bigclass.jmp . If I add Data(Weight) & Mean(weight) as Y in the chart platform and height as X , the chart platform crashes.

It works well with just Mean(Weight) Vs Height).