Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How can i use ODBC to open query results from access file

Highlighted
GoodMan

Community Trekker

Oct 28, 2011

Dear all,

I have a MS Access database file in which i have several query results. Now in JMP, i can use file-open method to read out those query results without any problem. However when i want use ODBC via file -database-open table, i can find those query results from table list. Only i can see ACCESS tables. I wonder if you have experience in solving this problem. Thank you in advance, Kun.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Kun,

It doesn't appear possible to see your Access queries directly using JMP and ODBC.  However, since you've defined the queries already, you can use the SQL from Access in JMP.  In Access, get in to design view on the desired query and then click on View > SQL.  Copy the SQL to a JSL program and use it in your Open Database call.

Regards,

Peter

4 REPLIES
Solution

Kun,

It doesn't appear possible to see your Access queries directly using JMP and ODBC.  However, since you've defined the queries already, you can use the SQL from Access in JMP.  In Access, get in to design view on the desired query and then click on View > SQL.  Copy the SQL to a JSL program and use it in your Open Database call.

Regards,

Peter

GoodMan

Community Trekker

Oct 28, 2011

Dear Mr. Mroz,

Thanks for your help. Now it works well here. This is the first time i learn how to use SQL method in JMP to open database. Can you let me know which pages are best to learn SQL in our JMP guide?

Kun

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

The JMP guides don't cover SQL, to my knowledge.  There are lots of resources on the net however.  Just Google "Learn Access SQL" or "Access SQL Tutorial".  I added the Access keyword as there are differences between platforms (e.g. Access, SAS, Oracle, SQL Server).

GoodMan

Community Trekker

Oct 28, 2011

Dear Mr. Mroz,

Once thanks for your help. Kun