Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How can i make my script non deletable ?

kaushik_pushpen

Community Trekker

Feb 22, 2015

I already tried script to be encrypted but after that i couldn't read the actual script but i could able to delete the entire script. Please give your suggestion on it. Thanks

7 REPLIES
Craige_Hales

Staff

Mar 21, 2013

What is deleting your script?  Where are you keeping your script? 

Craige
kaushik_pushpen

Community Trekker

Feb 22, 2015

HI Craige,

We have JMP software installed at common server. So, all have their script into the server which can be seen by everyone who is doing login at the server. If someone change the script mistakenly then it will be tough for me to find the error in the script.

So i am asking how can i make my script non deletable.

Thanks

Craige_Hales

Staff

Mar 21, 2013

I'm not an expert on servers, but you should be able to extend PMroz idea to use file permissions on the server to allow some users read-only access and yourself full access (including delete).  This requires users to log on to the server with their userid and password (credentials).  I've messed up permissions before; you might want to get your systems people to help you with this.  It isn't quite as obvious as it looks.

Or, if you trust everybody and just want to prevent mistakes, set the file attribute to read-only like PMroz suggested.

8351_permission.png

Craige
kaushik_pushpen

Community Trekker

Feb 22, 2015

Thanks Craige...

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

If you're in windows you could set the protection level of your JSL file to readonly and hidden.

wjlevin

Community Trekker

Jun 23, 2011

You could go to an add-in and take advantage of tools there that prevent users from tampering with their installed add-ins.  There's a paper on that you can find here (but it may be more than you want): Best Practices in JMP Add-In Management | JMP

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

It sounds like users are running your scripts "manually", by clicking on JSL files perhaps?

As wjlevin mentions, add-ins are a good way to go.  We use them a lot in my company - programs are available via customized menus so that users never see the fileshare where the programs are actually located.

I send users a link to a .jmpaddin file (e.g. \\myfileshare\dir1\dir2\jmpaddins\mygreatapp.jmpaddin).  They click on the link and the addin contained in mygreatapp.jmpaddin is added to their JMP menu.  There is a lot of documentation on add-ins - they're worth spending some time learning.