cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Reinaldo
Level IV

How can I transpose a data table with different types?

Hi,

I have an example enclosed in this post. I would like the final result could be shown in the following format:

Subject      PreTest      PostTest      Test_ID

100                 1                 5                  A

100                 3                 7                  B

100                 8                 7                  C

100                ...                ...                  ...

200                10               10                 B

200                9                  2                  D

200                6                  4                  A

The problem I found is when I click on the Tables->Transpose and I select Subject as By and all columns as Transpose Columns, JMP shows an error because Test_ID is Character. I don't understand what's the problem to create columns with different types. If I exclude it from Transpose Columns, JMP creates a Label column which it doesn't match what I would like to have as a final result.

Thank you for your help.

~Rei
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How can I transpose a data table with different types?

1. Using Standardize Attributies, convert all columns Data Type to Character

2. Using      Tables==>Stack   select all columns from PreTest 1 thru Test_ID 4.  Also select  Multiple Series Stack, specify 3 for the number of Series and check the Contiguous checkbox.

3. In the new data table created by the Stacking, change the column named Data to PreTest, the column named Data2 to PostTest and the column named Data3 to Test_ID.  

4. Delete the columns Label, Label2 and Label3

5. Change the Data Type for columns PreTest and PostTest to Number and the Modeling Type to Continuous

Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
txnelson
Super User

1. Using Standardize Attributies, convert all columns Data Type to Character

2. Using      Tables==>Stack   select all columns from PreTest 1 thru Test_ID 4.  Also select  Multiple Series Stack, specify 3 for the number of Series and check the Contiguous checkbox.

3. In the new data table created by the Stacking, change the column named Data to PreTest, the column named Data2 to PostTest and the column named Data3 to Test_ID.  

4. Delete the columns Label, Label2 and Label3

5. Change the Data Type for columns PreTest and PostTest to Number and the Modeling Type to Continuous

Jim
Reinaldo
Level IV

Great!! Tnx, Jim!

~Rei