Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How can I have a script save model parameters?

jazzy09

Community Trekker

Aug 18, 2015

I'm running JMP Pro 11.

I'm working on a project that involves fitting a lot of Gaussian processes. I wrote a script that reads in a set of data files, fits a Gaussian process to each one, makes predictions on another dataset, then writes the predictions to a file.

But now I want to save the model parameters (mu, sigma squared, theta) and write them to a separate file as well. How can I do this? First the model is created, gp. Then I want to save the model report.  By hand I can do Edit > Copy as text, paste it into another file and save it. I can post process it to get the parameters out, although it isn't ideal. How can I have a script do this? Here's the code I have now:

gp = Gaussian Process( Y( :y ), X( ), Set Correlation Function( "Cubic" ) );  //  that should be a : x, not a smiley face

gp << Save( <filepath> );  // doesn't work

I couldn't get Save or Save Text File to work. I also tried some variations on Main Menu("Copy as text"), but I couldn't get that to work either.

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

hi Jazz,

your question involves a few issues.

if you want to keep results of many processes it could be useful not to save the output of each run but rather extract the values into a data table and save that.

the following may not be the most sleek solution but it will give you an idea of what you may be looking into:

// creat a new empty table to house the results

ntd = New table ("parametes", add rows (5));

New column ("mu");

New column ("sig2");

New column ("theta");

for (i=1, i<=5, i++,

// open a data table

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

wait (0);

// run the gaussian process

parameters = gp = Gaussian Process( Y( :height), X( :weight ), Set Correlation Function( "Cubic" ) );

// extract the parameters from the report

mu = Report (parameters) [NumberColBox(5)] [1];

sig2 = Report (parameters) [NumberColBox(6)] [1]; 

theta = Report (parameters) [NumberColBox(1)] [1];

// put the values in the new table

ntd:mu[i] = mu;

ntd:sig2 [i] = sig2;

ntd:theta [i] = theta;

close (dt, nosave);

wait (1); 

);

the loop is just a way of doing this many times and accumulating results, obviusly there is no point of reproducing the same results again and again.

hope this helps,

ron

2 REPLIES
Solution

hi Jazz,

your question involves a few issues.

if you want to keep results of many processes it could be useful not to save the output of each run but rather extract the values into a data table and save that.

the following may not be the most sleek solution but it will give you an idea of what you may be looking into:

// creat a new empty table to house the results

ntd = New table ("parametes", add rows (5));

New column ("mu");

New column ("sig2");

New column ("theta");

for (i=1, i<=5, i++,

// open a data table

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );

wait (0);

// run the gaussian process

parameters = gp = Gaussian Process( Y( :height), X( :weight ), Set Correlation Function( "Cubic" ) );

// extract the parameters from the report

mu = Report (parameters) [NumberColBox(5)] [1];

sig2 = Report (parameters) [NumberColBox(6)] [1]; 

theta = Report (parameters) [NumberColBox(1)] [1];

// put the values in the new table

ntd:mu[i] = mu;

ntd:sig2 [i] = sig2;

ntd:theta [i] = theta;

close (dt, nosave);

wait (1); 

);

the loop is just a way of doing this many times and accumulating results, obviusly there is no point of reproducing the same results again and again.

hope this helps,

ron

jazzy09

Community Trekker

Aug 18, 2015

Thanks Ron! The Report parameters NumberColBox command was exactly what I needed and I am in the process of adjusting the code for use in my own script.