Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

How can I combine some of the separate bars in a graph into one bar?

rj69

Community Trekker

May 9, 2016

I have a simple bar chart, per below (# of promos is X-axis, # of views is Y-axis). In JMP 11, what would be the easiest way to combine some of the bars so that in the graph I can see the average views for 0 promos, 1 promo, 2 promos, and 3+ promos? Thanks.

12690_pastedImage_1.png

6 REPLIES
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

The fastest way is to create a new column using Cols -> Recode to combine the levels. Then use this new column in your graph.

-Jeff

-Jeff
rj69

Community Trekker

May 9, 2016

Thanks for the quick response, Jeff - but nothing seems to happen when I recode:

12692_pastedImage_1.png

Nothing happens when I try changing the values in the "new value" area and clicking OK. Not sure what I'm missing here, whether I'm inputting incorrect data into the "New Value" box or if I'm supposed to select a formula column (tried but didn't have luck with that, either) but it should be pretty simple.

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Sorry about that. I forgot that Recode doesn't really like to work with Numeric columns. Change the Data Type of your # of promos column to Character and then try. Then do it to a New Column.

Let us know if still have trouble.

12693_JMPScreenSnapz043.png

-Jeff
rj69

Community Trekker

May 9, 2016

Ah, good to know. The solution worked perfectly. Thanks Jeff!

M_Anderson

Staff

Nov 21, 2014

Another option might be to use Col > Utilities > Make Binning Formula.  Or the interactive binning formula add-in (https://community.jmp.com/docs/DOC-6237)  And then using the binning formula column that is generated in your graph. 

best,

M

rj69

Community Trekker

May 9, 2016

Thanks for the alternate solution!