cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
switzal87
Level III

Help Needed! Incomplete Details when using SPLIT column

Hello JMP community!

I need help figuring out what seems to be the problem when I Split a column of the following Data Table:

My raw data is as shown:

Data Table 1 (Raw Data)Data Table 1 (Raw Data)

Take note that I have 2 types of Design : D1 and C1. 

I Split this data by "STEP" and "Shift" as the splitted column.Rema. Unexpectedly, I am getting the output table as shown below:

Output TableOutput Table

Take note that in the Output table, "Design" column. D1's were missing.

Can anyone point out what could cause to this? I am using JMP 13 version . Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Help Needed! Incomplete Details when using SPLIT column

Jim (txnelson) provided you the solution to your problem.  This is just an added hint. The data looks like a within wafer (litho, implant, test ?) experiment. Your problem is the most commonly made mistake with Split. As Jim noted, you need a unique group specification. Each defined group gets 1 row.  

I am guessing based upon the portion of the table you displayed that this might be the specification you might need using JSL.  If you are doing this via the user interface, specify the columns accordingly.  If each object "gets" all 3 steps, then use this:

dt << Split(
	Split By( :Step ),
	Split( :Shift ),
	Group(:expNum, :WAFERNUM, :Design, :Object, :tgt)
	remaining columns( drop all )
);

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

These results is exactly what I would expect.  If you notice, all columns that were not referenced in either te Split By, Split Columns, or Group selection boxes and have specified to be kept, will have the same number of rows your Design column.  As it happens, it takes the last n number of row as remaining when the split is done.  That is, Object, tgt, ExpNum, and Wafernum all have only the last 3 rows of data remaining in the data table.

What did you expect the data table to look like?

Jim
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

Jim (txnelson) provided you the solution to your problem.  This is just an added hint. The data looks like a within wafer (litho, implant, test ?) experiment. Your problem is the most commonly made mistake with Split. As Jim noted, you need a unique group specification. Each defined group gets 1 row.  

I am guessing based upon the portion of the table you displayed that this might be the specification you might need using JSL.  If you are doing this via the user interface, specify the columns accordingly.  If each object "gets" all 3 steps, then use this:

dt << Split(
);

switzal87
Level III

Thanks for this! Looks like I missed the "Group by ()" line. My script now works as it should be.

dt << Split(
);

switzal87
Level III

Thanks for the explaination! I now got it how it would work!