cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ted_ellefson
Level III

Heatmap: how to change values from "average" to "total count" for groups

I'm creating a heatmap in graph builder.  I have a "group" column and I've made a local data filter to migrate through the groups or select some or all of the groups for the heatmap.  When I select an individual group, the heatmap displays the count from the group.  When I select multiple groups the heatmap displays the average count for the groups.  I want it to display the sum or total count of all the groups selected.  I'm not able to figure out how to change it to total count.  I'm only finding the options for value or percent of total and not total count.

thanks for your help in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Heatmap: how to change values from "average" to "total count" for groups

Hi @ted_ellefson,

Regardless of any Local or Global data filter, the heatmap element will display total count in the intersections/cells. That is, unless you're using a variable in the Color role, which is what I assume you are doing if you're getting an average value in the cells ("average" is the default operation to perform on the values of a continuous Color role variable). To change the summary statistic used in coloring those cells (and thus, also the values displayed when they are labelled), right click the variable in the Color role, select Summary Statistic > Sum:

julian_0-1614189831834.png

Now, what is displayed in the cells (and what the colors are defined by) is the sum of the Color variable at those intersections formed by your X and Y role variables. Your Data Filter should now work as you intended. 

I hope this helps!

@julian 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
dale_lehman
Level VII

When I have it set to "Label by Value" and select multiple groups, it shows the total number in each cell for the selected groups.  Is that what you want?

ted_ellefson
Level III

When I set to "label by value" and select multiple groups, it shows the "average" for the selected groups. For example, if group A = 30 and group B = 32, it displays 31 and not 62. I want it to display 62. I'm not able to find the option to change this.
dale_lehman
Level VII

Attached is my example - the script will build the heatmap and if you select both men and women in the filter, I get the total number, not the average.

julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @ted_ellefson,

Regardless of any Local or Global data filter, the heatmap element will display total count in the intersections/cells. That is, unless you're using a variable in the Color role, which is what I assume you are doing if you're getting an average value in the cells ("average" is the default operation to perform on the values of a continuous Color role variable). To change the summary statistic used in coloring those cells (and thus, also the values displayed when they are labelled), right click the variable in the Color role, select Summary Statistic > Sum:

julian_0-1614189831834.png

Now, what is displayed in the cells (and what the colors are defined by) is the sum of the Color variable at those intersections formed by your X and Y role variables. Your Data Filter should now work as you intended. 

I hope this helps!

@julian