Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Hard Error shut down with JMP 11.2 (Windows 7)

jcminor

Community Trekker

Sep 19, 2014

I have not been able to resolve a 'Hard Error' shut down problem.  After I close JMP, it will not start again, failing with a 'Hard Error' shut down on the jmp.exe and immediately closing  Tech support guided me through a recovery process where I uninstall JMP and Microsoft.NET Framework 4.5t and delete the JMP directory under Program files and my user directory.  Afterwards I can reinstall JMP 11 and then run the update to JMP 11.2.  It seems to run fine as long as I keep the program running but that process takes about 40 minutes.  Prior to this problem cropping up this week, I was able to run JMP 11.2 for a couple of months with no issues.

What is really baffling is that we have maybe 30 some licenses on our corporate network in this location and as far as I know there is only one other person having the problem, causing me to think that it is not some corporate wide update or patch to something that is killing it,

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts as to what might be going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

The problem appears to have been caused by Windows update KB2991509.  I uninstalled the update and I can close and restart JMP as before.  Thank you for trying to help me figure out what was going on.

Craig

5 REPLIES
erichill

Staff

Oct 1, 2013

Hey, jcminor,

Sorry you are having this problem.  Tech Support may have asked, but when you get the "hard error" when JMP is coming up, does JMP generate a JMPExcept____.jer file and or a .dmp file?  If you can find those and attach them to your tech support case, development will get them and may be able to figure out what is going on.

Eric

jcminor

Community Trekker

Sep 19, 2014

Eric,

Thank you for your reply.  I could not find any new .jer or .dmp files.  There were several .dmp files but the newest one was nearly three weeks old which predates my issue. by several weeks.

Thank you,

Craig

jschroedl

Staff

Jun 23, 2011

For cases like this sometimes we need to determine what might be special or different about your machine vs the other working machines.  Do you use a particular JMP add-in the other machines do not? Is yours a touch-screen and others are not?

Will JMP launch if you temporarily rename the settings folder and retry? If so, maybe there's a preference getting written when JMP closes which causes an issue: ( c:\users\<your_user_id>\AppData\Local\SAS\JMP\11 ).

There may be a helpful message written to the system even logs right after the crash.  Start > Event Viewer. Look in Windows Logs > System (or Application)

John

jcminor

Community Trekker

Sep 19, 2014

John,

Thank you for your reply to my post/problem.  I'll try to answer your questions;

• My install is pretty generic with only the Excel add-in.
  • We have a variety of machines in use, nearly all Dell.  Mine is a newer (maybe a year old) Dell laptop but there are both newer and older machines on site.  I don't think any of them are touch screens.
  • I was able to get JMP to launch successfully by renaming the settings folder c:\users\<your_user_id>\AppData\Local\SAS\JMP\11
  • The following was written in the Event Viewer as an error

Application: Jmp.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The application requested process termination through System.Environment.FailFast(string message).

Thank you for your help.

Craig

Solution

The problem appears to have been caused by Windows update KB2991509.  I uninstalled the update and I can close and restart JMP as before.  Thank you for trying to help me figure out what was going on.

Craig