Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Graph builder JMP 11 - the chart is stretching about 3 times the width of the screen

shmuel_bron

Community Trekker

Jul 13, 2014

The automatic "stretching" happens at any refresh/modification of axes etc. 

This is extremely annoying and time consuming as I have to manually reduce the chart to the screen width by dragging the right axis in.  Could anybody please tell me how to set it up so it won't stretch automatically? 

I was unable to find something in Graph Builder preferences.

I was extensively used JMP 9 and I never encountered this feature there. I wonder why this feature was included at all as default.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES
Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

I'm not sure I understand. The Graph Builder window is auto-sizing to wider than your display?  I've not see that happen before.

What kind of graph are you making? Whats on the X axis? Is it categorical or continuous? You say that any modification/refresh of the axes causes this to happen. Can you be more specific as to what you're doing that causes the graph and window to resize?

What version of JMP are you using?

Thanks!

-Jeff

-Jeff
shmuel_bron

Community Trekker

Jul 13, 2014

Jeff, thank you for taking the time to look into this.

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. Yes, GB is auto-sizing to about 3-times wider than the display. I didn’t see either neither with JMP 9 or 10

2. GB charts are continuous vs continuous (like time). Modification of axes (like orientation of labels) + “done” leads to auto-sizing again to 3 –times wider than my screen

3. JMP 11 Pro.

Thnx!

Shmuel

F28 BEOL Integration Engineer

Mobile +972-54-788-7253

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

That's really strange. Does this happen with every graph you create in Graph Builder?

Are you using a Windows machine or a Macintosh? What operating system version are you running? Do you have more than one monitor?

It may be best to contact Technical Support to help diagnose what's causing this odd behavior.

-Jeff

-Jeff
shmuel_bron

Community Trekker

Jul 13, 2014

Thank you!

Please see answers below:

Shmuel

Mobile +972-54-788-7253

Jeff_Perkinson

Community Manager

Jun 23, 2011

Hmmm...there are no answers in your message.

-Jeff

-Jeff
shmuel_bron

Community Trekker

Jul 13, 2014

Sorry. It didn’t work.

Please see the answers now:

That's really strange. Does this happen with every graph you create in Graph Builder?

Yes!

Are you using a Windows machine or a Macintosh? What operating system version are you running? Do you have more than one monitor?

Windows 7, 2 monitors, happens also when working with the built-in monitor alone

It may be best to contact Technical Support<mailto:support@jmp.com> to help diagnose what's causing this odd behavior.

I contacted Technical support – good idea.

Thnx!

Really appreciate itJ

Shmuel

Mobile +972-54-788-7253

shmuel_bron

Community Trekker

Jul 13, 2014

I found the issue and it was confirmed by JMP developer: JMP11 has issues with very long column names.  They are working on it - hope to have a solution soon.

Meanwhile I reverted back to JMP 9 as JMP11 has additional issues with a very popular add-in we are using.