cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
djhanson
Level V

Graph Builder - how to do 2 Y-Axis's? (left and right)

In Graph Builder, how to do (2) separate Y-Axis's, where first Y-Axis is on the left, second Y-Axis is on the right? 

I don't mean multiple Y-Axis's on the left or the right (which is easy to do in Graph Builder as groupings).  So for example, I may have a data table with (3) columns: Time (X-Axis), Number of Widgets (Y-Axis left side), Number of Gizmos (Y-Axis right side).

Anyways, this is easy to do in Excel, so I was hoping JMP can support it too.

thanks, DJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Graph Builder - how to do 2 Y-Axis's? (left and right)

Select the two columns that you want to use for your Y-axes.
Drag them both to the Y-axis drop zone on the left side of Graph Builder (this will give a plot with two Y-axes on the same side of the graph).
Right click on the Y-axis and select Move Right... and select the column that you want to move right.

You might also check out Scott Wise's presentation in the 2017 Discovery Europe part of the community.Pictures from the Gallery 2: Select Advanced Graph Builder Views He's got a bunch of examples on how to do some spectacular things in Graph Builder.

best,

M

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Select the two columns that you want to use for your Y-axes.
Drag them both to the Y-axis drop zone on the left side of Graph Builder (this will give a plot with two Y-axes on the same side of the graph).
Right click on the Y-axis and select Move Right... and select the column that you want to move right.

You might also check out Scott Wise's presentation in the 2017 Discovery Europe part of the community.Pictures from the Gallery 2: Select Advanced Graph Builder Views He's got a bunch of examples on how to do some spectacular things in Graph Builder.

best,

M

djhanson
Level V

Thanks!  That's what I need!  Good stuff... cheers, DJ

Devin
Level I

Does the Scott Wise presentation have a link?  Thanks

It's in the solution (see the green box above).

nanoreas
Level I

Thanks Mike, this works and I have applied this to create a plots often.
However, once such a graph is created, I am struggling to add another column as a Line to the right Y-axis.

In my example, I have datasets as bars on the left Y-axis and other datasets as Lines and Points on the right Y-axis.
Now I want to add another dataset from an adjacent column to the right Y-axis as Lines and Points along with the other Lines and Points.
When I reopen the control panel of the Graph Builder, I can see and add datasets from other columns to the plot. 

The problem is, that when I take the to-be-added-column and drag it to the right Y-axis, it is added as a bar to the left Y-axis.

It then also pops up as a variable under the bars section. 
I have struggled many, many times to find an option to push such individual datasets/variables from one type (bars) to another type (line).

Very frustrating.

Am I overlooking something? 
Anybody a solution for this without starting the entire plot from scratch?

Best,
Andreas

@nanoreas - just right click on the left y-axis and select Move Right > <the variable you added>. That will move the variable to the right hand side with the other one.  I'd also suggest you have a look at the variable section for each of the Graph Elements in the plot (the bar chart, line, and point charts are all graph elements).  The variables section gives you the ability to turn different data on or off for a particular graph element.  

best,

M

AZOJIM
Level I

Mike - thanks for all of the good input. Can I make the data on the right axis a line and leave the bar chart on the left axis?  I can make the "combined chart" but it only lets me make the left axis the line.  Please advise.  I feel bad asking this question but I haven't figured it out with my poking and prodding.

Thanks in advance-

Jim

If you right click in the graph it lets you change the graph element types independently.  That should let you make the changes you want. 

best,

M