Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Graph Builder - Size zone question

anne_sa

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2016

Hello everybody,

I want to make a graph, using a continuous variable to determine the size of my points. Thus I put the corresponding variable in the Size zone of the Graph Builder.

Nevertheless in my case, small values are better so I would like them to be associated with large markers and high values with small markers. Is there a way to get something like without creating a new variable?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2 REPLIES
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

As you probably discovered there is not a "reverse scale" option for the size role (like there is for the color role). So, a formula is necessary, but you don't have to leave Graph Builder to do it. One quick method I've used for this is to do a "Reciprocal" instant transform on the column you want to use for sizing. To do this, right-click the column in the column list > Transform > Reciprocal. This will add a temporary variable which you can now use in the size role. Note though that this is not a linear transformation. If that's a problem (and in many cases it would be), a still quick option is to make a new column with a formula that takes the Column Max - Each value.  You can also do this all through instant formulas: click your sizing column in the list > Aggregate > Maximum. This makes a temporary column that is just the max value of the column. Then, select the sizing column and the new temporary aggregate column, right click > Combine > Difference (reverse order). You can now use this temporary column in the size role. You can double-click the name in the legend if you want to change it back to the original label.

Hope this helps!

Julian

SizeReverse.gif

anne_sa

Community Trekker

Feb 24, 2016

Hello Julian,

Thank you for your detailled answer.

I was wondering if there is an option or a trick to obtain this kind of graph without creating a new or a temporary variable precisely. But if there is not, for now, I will do what you suggest.