cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
luccasinaccio
Level II

Graph Builder Overlay values

I'm having a problem with the interval of values of the overlay (SAL) in the Graph Builder.

I want to specify my own interval of values but the program keeps chosing the interval instead of me, and I don't know how to change it.

Can someone help me with this?

Sem título.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
markschahl
Level V

Re: Graph Builder Overlay values

Luccas:

I would recommend dropping SAL on Color instead of Overlay since SAL is a continuous variable. That way you can assign a meaningful continuous gradient color theme like cool to warm (blue to red). See example of 6 bara water density vs entropy colored by temperature.
Another tip for when you have many categories to overlay: use the color theme Spectral. Why? Lots of colors (so you don't have discern between 5 shades of light green...) and it follows the rainbow. In primary school we all (English speakers) learned ROYGBIV. This is great for timestamps as overlay: purples are in the past and reds are now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

There are 2 ways to do this that I can think of at this time

1. Create a new character column based on the Sal column, giving it the values you want for the overaly, and then use the new column as the overlay column.
  2. Use the Value Labels column property for the Sal column, and specify ranges for the Value Labels.
Jim
luccasinaccio
Level II

Thanks for your replying. The secund tip is really good but it didn't work as well, and I don't know why. Anyway, thanks!

MBoulanger
Level I

This was good, but it inspired me to do something I liked even more. I right clicked on Sal variable on the left hand side of the Graph builder window, then I chose Transform - Round and then it created a new temporary variable that had any bins I wanted (same range for all bins, though).

markschahl
Level V

Luccas:

I would recommend dropping SAL on Color instead of Overlay since SAL is a continuous variable. That way you can assign a meaningful continuous gradient color theme like cool to warm (blue to red). See example of 6 bara water density vs entropy colored by temperature.
Another tip for when you have many categories to overlay: use the color theme Spectral. Why? Lots of colors (so you don't have discern between 5 shades of light green...) and it follows the rainbow. In primary school we all (English speakers) learned ROYGBIV. This is great for timestamps as overlay: purples are in the past and reds are now.

luccasinaccio
Level II

@markschahl thank you, it helped me!