cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
robbob
Level I

Map Shape role in Graph Builder - Only 1 point is shown in each state

I created a graph using latitude (Y axis) and longitude (X axis).  I used STATE column for Map Shape.  I now see an outline of the united states, but the problem I have is it does not show more than one city in each state.  It will not show a point for Flagstaff and Phoenix....only one dot for Phoenix.  any suggestions to show more than one city in a state?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sseligman
Staff

Re: Graph Builder - Map Shapes

First, drag Latitude to the Y role in Graph Builder and Longitude to X. Then, instead of placing "state" in the map role, right click within the graph area and choose Graph > Background Map. On the right side of the window that appears under Boundaries, select the radio button next to US States. Click OK. Then, double click on each axis and change the axis type from Linear to Geodesic US.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Uncheck X and Y under Points/Variables in the control panel.

In JMP 10 all points would have been shown directly but from JMP 11 the "average" location is shown by default.

Graph Builder(

Variables(X(:longitude), Y(:latitude), Shape(:state)),

Elements(Points(Legend(9)), Smoother(X, Y, Legend(8))),

)

robbob
Level I

I can see all the points now, thank-you.  I have a follow-up question.

Is there a reason why the cities don't match up with the latitude and longitude accurately?  For example, in Florida, the points for Pinellas Park and Key West don't line up well.  They don't match the location on the state or with the x and y axis.  Could the format of latitude and longitude be incorrect?

11295_pastedImage_0.png

msharp
Super User (Alumni)

If you notice, by putting the state in the shape box you may or may not have noticed Alaska and Hawaii at the bottom.  JMP is obviously not strictly following latitude and longitude.  If you want the cities to line up correctly instead of just being center of state, right lick >> graph >> Background Map...  Under boundaries select US States.

Graph Builder(
       Variables( X( :longitude ), Y( :latitude ) ),
       Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 3 ) ), Smoother( X, Y, Legend( 4 ) ) ),
       SendToReport(
              Dispatch(
                     {},
                                      "Graph Builder",
                     FrameBox,
                     {Background Map( Boundaries( "US States" ) ), Grid Line Order( 2 ),
                     Reference Line Order( 3 )}
              )
       )
);

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Sorry, I gave you the wrong answer. I meant to write check only X and Y under Points/Variables in the control panel, i.e. uncheck the map shape variable. That should show all points at their right location.

robbob
Level I

This works. Thank-you for your help!

Best regards,

Rob Summers

The Alaska and Hawaii insets have their own axes that are not shown - all mainland points should follow the visible axes.  My graph looks different than yours.  This image is from JMP 11.2.1, and it looks similar in JMP 12.2.  Which version do you have?

11309_GBMap.png

Graph Builder(

Size( 636, 577 ),

Show Control Panel( 0 ),

Variables( X( :longitude ), Y( :latitude ) ),

Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 1 ), Jitter( 1 ) ) ),

SendToReport(

Dispatch(

{},

"longitude",

ScaleBox,

{Scale( "Geodesic US" ), Minor Ticks( 0 )}

),

Dispatch(

{},

"latitude",

ScaleBox,

{Scale( "Geodesic US" ), Minor Ticks( 1 )}

),

Dispatch(

{},

"Graph Builder",

FrameBox,

{Background Map( Boundaries( "US States" ) ), Grid Line Order( 2 ),

Reference Line Order( 3 )}

)

)

);

robbob
Level I

I have version 12.01

Best regards,

Rob Summers

sseligman
Staff

First, drag Latitude to the Y role in Graph Builder and Longitude to X. Then, instead of placing "state" in the map role, right click within the graph area and choose Graph > Background Map. On the right side of the window that appears under Boundaries, select the radio button next to US States. Click OK. Then, double click on each axis and change the axis type from Linear to Geodesic US.