cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
markschwab
Level IV

Getting "Page By" and "Wrap By" to work together nicely?

Say I have six data sets indexed as X_Y: e.g., [A_1, A_2, A_3, B_1, B_2, C_1]

If I want to page by X and wrap by Y, is there any way to do so in Graph Builder without having a bunch of empty plots (i.e., no empty space for B_3, no empty spaces for C_2 and C_3)? The desired format would be the first page would have three wrapped plots for A_1, A_2, and A_3, the second page would have only two wrapped plots for B_1 and B_2, and the third page would show only one plot (C_1).

That's the toy example, but more generally I often need to do this with time-sequence data. Maybe I have 20 different objects, some of which are measured just once and some of which could be measured 15 times. If I do "page by object", "wrap by measurement #", the pages for objects that were only measured once will be almost entirely empty space - fifteen plots will be displayed, but only one will be populated with data.

Ideally it would be great if I didn't even have to index the measurements 1-15, I would love to be able to say "page by object", "wrap by timestamp", and have Graph Builder notice that Object A was measured 4 times between June 1 10:30 and June 8 14:00, and so the page for Object A would display four plots.

Thanks for any help, and please let me know if anything is not clear in the question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting "Page By" and "Wrap By" to work together nicely?

In the Graph Builder dialog button, there is an option to add a by variable in the launch window. When the by role is used instead of the page role, a separate instance of Graph Builder will be made for each level of the grouping variable. With the by option, those empty plots are no longer there.

The dialog button can be found here in Graph Builder.

a.png

Or under the Red Triangle in Graph Builder under Redo and then Relaunch if you have already populated Graph Builder.

b.png

The dialog opens and you can place your page variable (X or Object in your example) into the by section instead.

c.png

To broadcast commands to all the graphs created using the by option, hold down the ctrl key before and while clicking.

-Olivia

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

In the Graph Builder dialog button, there is an option to add a by variable in the launch window. When the by role is used instead of the page role, a separate instance of Graph Builder will be made for each level of the grouping variable. With the by option, those empty plots are no longer there.

The dialog button can be found here in Graph Builder.

a.png

Or under the Red Triangle in Graph Builder under Redo and then Relaunch if you have already populated Graph Builder.

b.png

The dialog opens and you can place your page variable (X or Object in your example) into the by section instead.

c.png

To broadcast commands to all the graphs created using the by option, hold down the ctrl key before and while clicking.

-Olivia

markschwab
Level IV

Hi Olivia,
Thanks for the helpful response! You are right, "By" works better than "Page" for my application.

My only remaining issue is broadcasting the commands. When I create the graphs using the "By" role, even if I hold Ctrl key the entire time, changing one plot format only seems to change the selected plots - it does not propagate the changes to all graphs. For example, if I am using a line graph and want to change all displayed plots to row order, I tried doing hold Ctrl + right click line graph + click "Row order" + release Ctrl, but it only changes the active graph. (When using "Page" instead of "By", this procedure would broadcast the changes to all graphs.)

I am using JMP Pro 12.2.0.

I tested the ctrl option above when clicking the "done" button to get out of edit mode. The ctrl broadcast option is available for the buttons at the top such as "done" as well as the red triangle menu options. However, the options for each individual graph builder such as row order do not broadcast when using the "by" option. 

-Olivia

markschwab
Level IV

Thanks for the update Olivia. It would be extremely useful to me if full broadcasting were implemented in a future version!

txnelson
Super User

You should add this request to the JMP Wish List

Jim
markschwab
Level IV