Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Get path of application?

cis_pete

Community Trekker

Jan 26, 2015

Hi,

is there a way to reliably obtain the path of an applicaton (*.jmpapp)? My tests with "get current directory()" and "get default directory()" have not been successful.

As a woraround I created a journal of the application ("save script to journal" in the application builder). This way "get default directory()" gives the path of the journal.

But I fear that this solution is not reliable, for example if you change "Data Files directory" in Preferences.

So is there a better way to get the path of an application?

3 REPLIES
danschikore

Staff

Sep 21, 2012

Currently there is no way to directly query the path of a running application.  When deploying an app as an Add-In, what is commonly done is to use the path to the Add-In as a reference point.  The Add-In folder can be found using:

"$ADDIN_HOME(id)"

The id in this case is the unique name given to the Add-In at creation time, such as com.jmp.jmpgeocoder.

cis_pete

Community Trekker

Jan 26, 2015

Thanks.

I think I don't necessarily need an application, I probably could achieve the same with a script. Could you query the path of a running script instead?

pmroz

Super User

Jun 23, 2011

The best way to do this is to make your .jmpapp file an addin.  Then you can refer to files in the application directory using the $addin_home construct.  For example suppose your addin ID is com.mycompany.dept.mygreatapp.  You could reference files in that addin's location via:

include("$addin_home(com.mycompany.dept.mygreatapp)\myprogram.jsl");