cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
none1
Level I

Formulas in JMP

I have been trying to write a formula since morning to refer to certain cells in my JMP table, however I seem to be able to get no where.

I can make a clear general statement:  When it comes to Formulas   Excel is a far ahead of JMP.

Its difficult to understand why its SO SO SO  difficult even simple formulas in JMP !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Formulas in JMP

I'm sorry that you're frustrated in your attempts to use the Formula Editor in JMP.

The first thing to recognize is that JMP isn't a spreadsheet like Excel (neither is Excel a structured data table like JMP).

When you create a new column and give it a formula. The formula applies to the entire column and is evaluated for every row in the column.

6281_JMPScreenSnapz007.png

If you want to reference a specific row in a column you can use the Subscript option from the Row functions.

6283_JMPScreenSnapz009.png

This will give you a subscript for the column you've got selected in the formula. You can put a row number in the subscript and you'll get the value for that column in the row specified.

This formula returns the value for ABRASION in row 3 for every row of this new column.

6284_JMPScreenSnapz010.png

Can you tell us what you're trying to do and how you've tried to do it and we can give you some pointers to accomplish it?

-Jeff

-Jeff

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I'm sorry that you're frustrated in your attempts to use the Formula Editor in JMP.

The first thing to recognize is that JMP isn't a spreadsheet like Excel (neither is Excel a structured data table like JMP).

When you create a new column and give it a formula. The formula applies to the entire column and is evaluated for every row in the column.

6281_JMPScreenSnapz007.png

If you want to reference a specific row in a column you can use the Subscript option from the Row functions.

6283_JMPScreenSnapz009.png

This will give you a subscript for the column you've got selected in the formula. You can put a row number in the subscript and you'll get the value for that column in the row specified.

This formula returns the value for ABRASION in row 3 for every row of this new column.

6284_JMPScreenSnapz010.png

Can you tell us what you're trying to do and how you've tried to do it and we can give you some pointers to accomplish it?

-Jeff

-Jeff
ZosTa
Level I

I'm experiencing the same kind of problem. In my data set I have a column named "Month", with readings , "Jan,Feb, Mar,.........,Dec" and am trying to create a new column named "month2" which converts the Month to "01(for Jan), 02 for (Feb), 03 (for Mar), ...... , 12 (for Dec). I'm assuming an "IF" statement will be useful. Please assist me on how to go about this
txnelson
Super User

Here is a formula that will give you a numeric value for month

monthList={"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"};
contains( monthList, :Month );
Jim
ZosTa
Level I

Thank you

Thomas1
Level V

The recode tool or the mach function would be handy as well:

Match( :Month, "Jan", "01", "Feb", "02", "Mar", "03", "Apr", "04", :Month )