cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
none1
Level I

Formulas in JMP

I have been trying to write a formula since morning to refer to certain cells in my JMP table, however I seem to be able to get no where.

I can make a clear general statement:  When it comes to Formulas   Excel is a far ahead of JMP.

Its difficult to understand why its SO SO SO  difficult even simple formulas in JMP !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Formulas in JMP

I'm sorry that you're frustrated in your attempts to use the Formula Editor in JMP.

The first thing to recognize is that JMP isn't a spreadsheet like Excel (neither is Excel a structured data table like JMP).

When you create a new column and give it a formula. The formula applies to the entire column and is evaluated for every row in the column.

6281_JMPScreenSnapz007.png

If you want to reference a specific row in a column you can use the Subscript option from the Row functions.

6283_JMPScreenSnapz009.png

This will give you a subscript for the column you've got selected in the formula. You can put a row number in the subscript and you'll get the value for that column in the row specified.

This formula returns the value for ABRASION in row 3 for every row of this new column.

6284_JMPScreenSnapz010.png

Can you tell us what you're trying to do and how you've tried to do it and we can give you some pointers to accomplish it?

-Jeff

-Jeff

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

I'm sorry that you're frustrated in your attempts to use the Formula Editor in JMP.

The first thing to recognize is that JMP isn't a spreadsheet like Excel (neither is Excel a structured data table like JMP).

When you create a new column and give it a formula. The formula applies to the entire column and is evaluated for every row in the column.

6281_JMPScreenSnapz007.png

If you want to reference a specific row in a column you can use the Subscript option from the Row functions.

6283_JMPScreenSnapz009.png

This will give you a subscript for the column you've got selected in the formula. You can put a row number in the subscript and you'll get the value for that column in the row specified.

This formula returns the value for ABRASION in row 3 for every row of this new column.

6284_JMPScreenSnapz010.png

Can you tell us what you're trying to do and how you've tried to do it and we can give you some pointers to accomplish it?

-Jeff

-Jeff
ZosTa
Level I

I'm experiencing the same kind of problem. In my data set I have a column named "Month", with readings , "Jan,Feb, Mar,.........,Dec" and am trying to create a new column named "month2" which converts the Month to "01(for Jan), 02 for (Feb), 03 (for Mar), ...... , 12 (for Dec). I'm assuming an "IF" statement will be useful. Please assist me on how to go about this
txnelson
Super User

Here is a formula that will give you a numeric value for month

monthList={"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr","May","Jun","Jul","Aug","Sep","Oct","Nov","Dec"};
contains( monthList, :Month );
Jim
ZosTa
Level I

Thank you

Thomas1
Level V

The recode tool or the mach function would be handy as well:

Match( :Month, "Jan", "01", "Feb", "02", "Mar", "03", "Apr", "04", :Month )