cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Formula for polynomial function / Finding Area under the Curve

So, I would like to find the Area under some curves. Actually quite many of them, so using the Trapezoid method manually won't work, and can't imagine it would be valid enough. There is some kind of function for this for ROC-curves, but is it usable for finding the AUC in curves, measureing blood substances over time (five times)?

However, if I get a formula for a fitted Curve, I can use it to find AUC (Integral) in other software. For example, a Sixth degree polynomial. Here, I get the the function but I can't make sense of it (pic 1). 

AUCJMP.PNG
Polynomial functions are:a_{n}x^{n}+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+\dotsb +a_{2}x^{2}+a_{1}x+a_{0},
But I can't make sense of the Formula JMP provides me. Using only Time=3? 

By using a flexible smoothing spline fit, I can get some coeffecients, but those won't help me (pic 2)? 
AUCJMP2.PNG

Would be grateful for tips getting the equation integral-ready and/or finding the AUC easily, for many subjects/curves.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Formula for polynomial function / Finding Area under the Curve

the Fit Special dialog has a check box for centering.

Uncheck to get the simpler looking form of the equationUncheck to get the simpler looking form of the equation

It looks like this dialog stops at degree 5.

Craige

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

When fitting a polynomial JMP will center the independent variable to reduce collinearity. That is why you see (time - 3) in the equation (it is not an equal sign).
You should still be able to work with the equation in this form. But if you must have an uncentered form you can save the prediction formula, open the formula in the formula editor, and select the simplify option under the red triangle menu.
Dan Obermiller

Thank you. Hmm so "26 - 1,3333333*Time - 1,25*(Time-3)^2 + 0,3333333*(Time-3)^3 + 0,25*(Time-3)^4 + 0*(Time-3)^5 + 0*(Time-3)^6" would be the predicted formula? Will try. 

Ok, seems like I had to change the commas to dots, then I got something out of it.

(Forth degree, not sixth, would be enough btw)

First:Formula1.PNGThen efter simplify:

Formula2.PNG

Hm is that a valid polynomial function? Having trouble integrating it atleast.

Craige_Hales
Super User

the Fit Special dialog has a check box for centering.

Uncheck to get the simpler looking form of the equationUncheck to get the simpler looking form of the equation

It looks like this dialog stops at degree 5.

Craige

Ah! Yeah, thank you. 

Now I got the formula looking like: 26 - 11,833333*Time + 9,25*Time^2 - 2,6666667*Time^3 + 0,25*Time^4
Will try to exchange Time for X and integrate..

Wow, seems like it might be solved. Via an integral calculator.

However a little time consuming for multiple curves but could do. Thank you!

You only have to symbolically integrate the polynomial once, then evaluate it with different sets of fitted parameter estimates.

Hmm. I'm about to compare the mean-AUC for some parameters, for 20 subjects divided into two groups. 

Craige_Hales
Super User

Anyone wondering about the centering: I think it helps numerical accuracy, potentially a lot. JMP uses double precision floating point numbers that can represent 15-16 digits. In this example you can see the two formulas agree to about 9 digits. 

Centered and uncentered formulasCentered and uncentered formulas

For Katie (row 1) the calculations look like this:

term centered uncentered
^0 -100.391805727981 -3850.46871657937
^1 190.861948723194 11664.6866311208
^2 2.9439683570111 -11635.8007229098
^3 -0.852640295610253 3914.14427943114
Sum 92.5614710566141 92.5614710627333

For the uncentered column, the most significant digits in all of the terms are much bigger than the sum, and those most significant digits mean there is no room to represent more least significant digits. 

Craige