cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
frederikaidt
Level I

Fit Multiple non linear Y responses

Hi all, 

I want to do a Fit model with a least squares regression and I want to include the effect of the dilution of antibody which follows more or less a sigmoid model. I could of course include dilution up to to dilution^4 as effects, but a polynomial model doesn’t really give the output I want since I would like the response plateau from a sigmoid model to be present. Essentially, I want to do the same as a non-linear fit using the fit non-linear platform, but include other terms such as interaction terms. Would this be possible in the context of the least-squares model and if so, how would I go about doing this? 

Best regards,

Frederik
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fit Multiple non linear Y responses

Frederik,

Have you thought about trying Neural Nets?  The Tan H function is sigmoidal in nature and you can use as many inputs as you like similar to Fit Model.  I would suggest doing a series of fits with different numbers of hidden nodes and then go with the model that is the least complicated, but still meets your prediction/fit criteria.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You should see Analyze > Specialized Modeling > Fit Curve for a platform that is better suited to the logistic curves. See Help > Books > Predictive and Specialized Modeling for a chapter about Fit Curve. It is loaded with help and examples.

My apologies! In my haste, I failed to recognize that your model includes more than one predictor. Yes, you must use a custom model with the Nonlinear platform for that purpose. Use the same book as I mentioned before but see the chapter about Nonlinear.

Someone else might have an idea about how to use Fit Model to begin with in this case, but I can't think of one at the moment.

Byron_JMP
Staff

Without completly understanding your experiment....

I might try to fit a non-linear curve (like a 4p or 5p) to each of the samples and the take the parameter for the upper asymptope or the inflection point (ec50) or whatever is relevant and use that as a response in the linear model with the other imputs that were used to effect the dilution curve.  

For example if I was looking at coating, block and wash buffers, and a couple of dilution ranges. I could fit each dilution, get the inflection point and upper plateau from the non-linear fit. and then go to Fit Model and include the four parameters and their interactions as model effects and use the two parameters from the non-linear fits for the responses.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)

Frederik,

Have you thought about trying Neural Nets?  The Tan H function is sigmoidal in nature and you can use as many inputs as you like similar to Fit Model.  I would suggest doing a series of fits with different numbers of hidden nodes and then go with the model that is the least complicated, but still meets your prediction/fit criteria.

HTH

frederikaidt
Level I

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have used TanH based neural network models before, but had not considered it in this context. I will try it out. 

Thanks to the other repliers as well!

Frederik