cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ehchandlerjr
Level V

File crashing upon opening

Hello - I have a JMP project with many files in it. However, its run very smoothly (except for a cycle upon startup, which I just click out of). A few minutes ago, however, I was looking at a graph builder plot, kinda wildly click-and-dragged the tab somewhere, and dropped it in the wrong place. Then the tab took over the screen, a few taskbar button borders glitched out, and I instinctively clicked save project and exited. The last part was a dumb move, because now the project crashes upon startup. I checked with other files which worked fine, and given the glitch immediately beforehand, I think its the file.Is there a way to troubleshoot this myself when I can't successfully open the file?

Thanks!

Edward Hamer Chandler, Jr.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: File crashing upon opening

Hi,

It is a native function on Windows 10 Pro, but I believe that you need to activate it. If you go to your File Explorer window, select the file, go to Home > History is there any information about backups for your file? If you are on a Mac, I think that there is a built-in feature called "Time Capsule".

Thierry_S_0-1701540387385.png

It is worth a try.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse

View solution in original post

ehchandlerjr
Level V

Ok, a little update. I remembered that a .jmpprj file is formatted as a zip file. So I used 7zip to go in and edit the project.jsl file. It seems to just run how everything is opened and organized on startup. I deleted a bunch of statements in the script that all referenced "graph builder". I also deleted the statement having to do with the scripting index window, including some long series of letters and numbers that seemed to be a unique identifier for an instance of what I thought was the scripting index window. However, it may have been for the whole project, because when I opened the project, nothing opened *except* graph builder. However, this time, I could x-out of it. Then to test it, I just opened every file in the project, and now it's running smoothly.

I'll mark this as the solution for now, but once the customer service crew gets back to me, I'll probably add whatever they say as a solution as well.

Addendum: I also deleted a lot of temporary files that autosaved from script testing from the project using 7zip before opening it. I opened it after deleting, but before doing the above solution, and it still crapped out, so I don't think that did anything, but just for completeness for anyone in the future with the same issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are facing a major problem with your project. By chance, would you happen to have a backup system on your machine from which you could retrieve the last working version of your project?

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
ehchandlerjr
Level V

Hi - thanks for the suggestion. Is this a native windows feature or is this something I or an employer would have purchased? As far as I can tell, I don't have one, but I'm not entirely sure what system you're referring to.
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

It is a native function on Windows 10 Pro, but I believe that you need to activate it. If you go to your File Explorer window, select the file, go to Home > History is there any information about backups for your file? If you are on a Mac, I think that there is a built-in feature called "Time Capsule".

Thierry_S_0-1701540387385.png

It is worth a try.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
ehchandlerjr
Level V

Gah. Unfortunately it says it was turned off. oh well. I guess I'll send it to the JMP help email and see if they can figure out what's wrong with it.

Thanks for your advice though. Glad to now know about the backup feature!

ehchandlerjr
Level V

Ok, a little update. I remembered that a .jmpprj file is formatted as a zip file. So I used 7zip to go in and edit the project.jsl file. It seems to just run how everything is opened and organized on startup. I deleted a bunch of statements in the script that all referenced "graph builder". I also deleted the statement having to do with the scripting index window, including some long series of letters and numbers that seemed to be a unique identifier for an instance of what I thought was the scripting index window. However, it may have been for the whole project, because when I opened the project, nothing opened *except* graph builder. However, this time, I could x-out of it. Then to test it, I just opened every file in the project, and now it's running smoothly.

I'll mark this as the solution for now, but once the customer service crew gets back to me, I'll probably add whatever they say as a solution as well.

Addendum: I also deleted a lot of temporary files that autosaved from script testing from the project using 7zip before opening it. I opened it after deleting, but before doing the above solution, and it still crapped out, so I don't think that did anything, but just for completeness for anyone in the future with the same issue.