cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ngodfrey
Level II

Extra Paramaters in "Sample Size & Power - K Means", what are they used for?

Hello,

I am displaying the input necessary for the script:

12769_pastedImage_2.png

I see that if I was performing a One-Way ANOVA that I would simply place the means of each of setting of X1 in the boxes.

e.g.

Temperature (X1) : [ 90, 100, 110, 120]

I would input the average response at Temperature 90, 100, 110, 120 into the boxes. Let's say the average response was 9, 10, 11, 12.

However, what does the Extra Parameters represent? Would this be if I had two factors instead of a one factor ANOVA?

Thank you,

Nate

1 REPLY 1
jszarka
Level IV

Re: Extra Paramaters in "Sample Size & Power - K Means", what are they used for?

I've used the Extra Parameters when I have a blocking situation, such as a Randomized Complete Block Design (RCBD). For instance, in your scenario, if you wanted to see the power when you have 32 runs, but it is run across 8 days, where day is your blocking factor, then you would enter 8 in the Extra Parameters box.

The power will be slightly lower, since you'll have fewer degrees of freedom for your error term. But if the RCBD reflects your situation, then it's always a good idea to match your sample size and power calculations with the type of analysis you'll use.