Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Export legend to a new window

vidushan_jeyane

Community Trekker

Aug 28, 2014

Hi,

I have two seperate graphs which I am trying to overlay on top of each other: the box plot and the red limits(red '-' marks). The best way I have found to do this is to use the "copy frame contents" function and the end results is (in this example another graph has also been overlayed):

7299_Boxplot overlay.png

As you can see, the legend of the initial graph is lost once I copy it onto another graph so I thought the best idea was to export the legend as an image to a new window before I copy the frame contents. Is this possible?

Thanks in advnace

4 REPLIES
julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Hi vidushan.jeyanes,

You can journal the legend by selecting it with the selection tool and then press control-J (or command-J on a mac), or with the legend selected you can save it to a file (in Windows Edit > Save selection to file, on the Mac, Edit > Copy, then open Preview.app and press Command-N to make a new document from your clipboard).

Actually, with the legend selected you can drag it inside the window of your final graph, which would skip the need to save the legend anywhere else. That's assuming you have the final graph ready. If not, journaling is still a good option for keeping the legend around.

Julian

vidushan_jeyane

Community Trekker

Aug 28, 2014

Hi julian,

Thanks for that! This is what I am looking for, although I need to be able to do it via scripting (my scripts need to select the legend and move it onto the other graph). Is this possible? Thanks a lot for your help

vidushan_jeyane

Community Trekker

Aug 28, 2014

Ive found out how to do this through scripting (use the report function and then extract the legend and append it to the Outline box of the chosen graph). I was just wondering whether it was possible to choose where to place it? I wanted it under the original legend but even when using the Select and Drag method this was not possible. The result I have so far is:7300_spec.png

As you can see the second legend is at the bottom of the graph, is it possible to move this? Currently I append it to the 'Outline Box'.

julian

Staff

Jun 25, 2014

Hi vidushan.jeyanes,

Oh no, I didn't realize you were intending to script this! I'm sorry I didn't catch that earlier.  I'm not sure how to place or move the legend, but I'll check into it and report back.

Julian