cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
dale_lehman
Level VII

Excel import problem

Lately, I've been having some trouble importing Excel files - trouble that I did not used to encounter.  The attached file is an example - the second column does not import and I can't figure out why.  If I save the file as .csv it imports correctly, but I can't understand why the Excel import does not recognize the data (text) in the second column.  Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
statman
Super User

Re: Excel import problem

Are you using the import wizard?  Check to see how many columns to import it is set to.  Worked fine for me on 15.2 on a Mac not using 365.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
txnelson
Super User

Under JMP 15.2, Windows 10, 64bit, Excel 365 the file read in with no missing columns.
Jim
dale_lehman
Level VII

So, this appears to be related to a problem I had with some other software.  I am not running Excel 365.  Is there something about the open Excel in JMP that only works correctly on Excel 365 files?  I really don't understand why the version of Excel would affect the way that JMP imports the file - it was not created in Excel 365.

dale_lehman
Level VII

So I installed Excel365.  The file open still does not recognize the second column.  I have both 365 and Excel2010 on my machine.  Do I have to tell JMP something special in order to get the file recognized properly?  Again, I don't understand why my version of Excel should affect the way the JMP Excel Wizard works.

statman
Super User

Are you using the import wizard?  Check to see how many columns to import it is set to.  Worked fine for me on 15.2 on a Mac not using 365.

"All models are wrong, some are useful" G.E.P. Box
dale_lehman
Level VII

Well, I did not see a setting for number of columns - and there are not so many columns - and it was the second column that was not importing, but the others did. However, I clicked Restore Defaults and it now works. I don't know what settings got changed and I am not even sure where those settings reside (I don't see them under Preferences), but apparently something got modified from the original settings. So, it works and thanks. If anyone can shed light on where those settings are found, I'd be interested.