BookmarkSubscribe
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
Sonja_Gevers
Community Member

Evaluation of various biological control agents to suppress root galling and powdery scab on potatoes caused by Spongospora subterranea f. sp. subterranea

Aim & Objectives

The aim of this project is to assess the efficacy of various commercially available biological control agents in suppressing development of powdery scab and root galling of potatoes by Spongospora subterranea f. sp. subterranea.

The specific objectives of this study are to:

• Apply various biological control agents as a tuber application, soil drench or in-furrow to inoculated soil pots under controlled greenhouse conditions;
  • rating of the number of root galls of the various treatments at six weeks after plant emergence under controlled greenhouse conditions; and,
  • tuber assessment for disease severity at harvesting for each of the respective treatments under controlled greenhouse conditions.

Summary of the research study:

There were 30 Treatments used of which some had 6 replicates and others 10 (As indicated on the sheets). The replicates were randomly placed in 10 blocks or 6 blocks respectively using CRBD. Treatment 28, 29 and 30 are my controls. Treatment 28 – Chemical control, Treatment 29 – Positive control and Treatment 30 – Negative control.

The Sheet named root galling, disease severity and disease incidence are the most essential ones, however the other sheets need to be statically analyzed as well; they are additional data that will add to my conclusion.

Please could you help me analyze the results? Where is the best place to start?

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
phil_kay
Staff

Re: Evaluation of various biological control agents to suppress root galling and powdery scab on potatoes caused by Spongospora subterranea f. sp. subterranea

Hi Sonja,

I'm a bit confused. The "response" for disease severity and disease incidence appears to be 0 for every treatment... so there isn't a lot of analysis to be done there! 0 disease severity and incidence for all treatments. Is this the right version of the data?

For the Root galling sheet you just have 1 averaged response result for every treatment. I can't see how you could do any further statistical analysis.

Perhaps I have misunderstood.

Statistical analysis on agricultural trials is usually about looking at the effect of treatment by estimating the size of the effect and variance across multiple observations of each treatment. This allows you to test for the significance of treatment effects. But you need results for multiple runs of each treatment.

Regards,
Phil
0 Kudos