Share your ideas for the JMP Scripting Unsession at Discovery Summit by September 17th. We hope to see you there!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
user3532
Level II

Evaluating the Fit for a Pareto/Bradford Distribution

JMP has features for evaluating the fit of a continuous variable to a distribution. In the JMP Pro 9.0.3 user interface, these functions can be accessed via the "Analyze, Distribution" menu. There is a nice selection of pre-loaded distribution definitions that can be used for the evaluation. I would like to evaluate fit versus a Pareto / Bradford Distribution, which is not in the list. Is it possible for me to add the equation for this distribution so that I can use it for the evaluation of fit?

Test System: SAS JMP Pro 9.0.3 32-bit, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 64-bit.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
ms
Super User ms
Super User

Re: Evaluating the Fit for a Pareto/Bradford Distribution

I am not aware of a way to add items to the list.

But according to the information in the link you provided, Y = ln(X/xm) is exponentially distributed with rate alpha, where X is pareto distributed with parameter alpha and xm.

Thus, with a good estimate of xm, the minimum treshold, you can apply the tranformation using a separate column formula and fit a simple exponential distribution to the transformed data.

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.