cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
wskamoun
Level II

Error Bars from column

Hi,

I generate my data using Matlab and end up with several distribution stats: mean, standard deviations, variance ... etc for thousands of points. I would like to use JMP to do scatter plots and would like to include error bars for every point that is already computed. Every time I see the error bars menu in graph builder it does not point to specific data column but is meant to compute the error.

This issue is not limited to the scatter plot but in general if I have data with standard deviation column how can I graph it as an error bar.

Thanks

Walid

4 REPLIES 4
markfisher
Level II

Re: Error Bars from column

You can plot error bars from another column in SAS, but I don't think you can do so in JMP.

In SAS, you can use proc sgplot with the yerrorupper and yerrorlower options in a scatter plot to produce error bars from another column.

wskamoun
Level II

Thanks for the info. I am very surprised of this since this is the basis of any good visualization tool. Not being able to include error bars that already computed elsewhere is a big limitation. Especially since less sophisticated applications like Excel and Matlab can do this very easily.

ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

It is possible with JMP. Check out this thread for some different approaches:

whitelampe
Level II

There is a pretty easiy option - even without the jitter-problem when you use an additional overlay variable:

First create a column for the lower and the upper value each. Then stack the data (central point, upper value, lower value). Open graph-builder and add the stacked data to the y-axis. Then choose summary statistic "mean" and Error bars "range". That's it. Good luck :)