Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Dynamic Journal

RVhydrA

Community Trekker

Apr 3, 2015

I have a script in which there is a for loop that is running through a number of "monitoring stations" and generating plots examing relations between various parameters.  These are then journaled together by station., subsquently producing a data review package for later use.  I use this script for reviewing the data that I get back from my laboratory.  As of now these journals are static. It would be very helpful if they could be dynamic in such that I could click on a data point that looks funky and have that point/row highlighted in my associated data table. I've had trouble searching for this online, help!

4 REPLIES
M_Anderson

Staff

Nov 21, 2014

I'm pretty sure that journals can't do this. The best you're going to be able to do is use the red triangle next to the analysis to relaunch the analysis with the data set and then work on it using the report. 

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

you could construct a script that performed the analysis you want, but rathrt than just dumping it to a journal, it generates the script to recreate output.  The script would have to save intermediate data tables, etc. but it certainly can be done.  i use a similar methodology on some of my scripts.

Jim
RVhydrA

Community Trekker

Apr 3, 2015

I decided to save the script for each plot to the same journal that I was already saving the plots to. That way if I see a strange data point it is easy to just click on the script link and open up the data table and plot to interact with it.  problem I am having is now when I run my script I keep being forced to manually save the data table during each iteration of the for loop.  I'm guessing that I have something written incorrectly.  

the script works fine unitl I add the "save script to journal"  If I only journal the plot, OR only journal the script, it works fine, but when I journal both it opens a file explorer window and makes me manually save as before the script moves on, which given the number of iterations in the for loop sort of defeats the purpose of a script to a degree.  Its almost there but let me know if anyone has any thoughts on why this is happening

I have attached the most relevant part of the script as well as two output screenshots to give you an idea of what i'm trying to do. Thanks for any advice!

RVhydrA

Community Trekker

Apr 3, 2015

Seems to be a glitch in JSL that forces me to save the data table before I can actually "<<journal" AND "<<save script to journal" of a plot/graph builder.  I moved my save command line to the top of the for loop and it all worked.  You can normally journal and then save but for whatever reason in this instance the save was required before performing the save script line.  Thanks for all the help folks.