cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Does JMP use Bonferroni correction for ANOVA and Krusal-Wallis?

Hi, I am trying to analyze a set of data with ANOVA and a separate set of data with a Kruskal-Wallis test using JMP. For my first set of data, I used an ANOVA and followed up with Tukey's HSD All-Pairs for post-hoc comparisons. Are the p-values that Tukey report lists as significant corrected values? Or do I need to apply the correction myself? Additionally, for a second test (Kruskal-Wallis), are the p-values compared with an adjusted significance level, or do I need to apply my own Bonferroni correction? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Does JMP use Bonferroni correction for ANOVA and Krusal-Wallis?

Hi Opnightfall1771,

The Tukey HSD test returns p-values that have been corrected for the number of independent pair-wise comparisons that are possible given the number of factor levels -- so, those p-values may be interpreted directly and require no further corrections.

The Kruskal-Wallis test you mentioned is the generalization of the Wilcoxon (or Mann-Whitney test) to factors with more than 2 levels, however if you are performing pair-wise tests the analyses are just Wilcoxon tests. The results from selecting (in Fit Y by X) Nonparametric > Nonparametric Multiple Comparisons > Wilcoxon Each Pair are not corrected for multiple comparisons. This is simply the nonparametric version of the "Each Pair Student’s t" option. You could use Bonferroni corrections with those p-values, however this will quickly become overly conservative with many factor levels and you would be better off using a more efficient analysis, such as the Steel-Dwass All Pairs (available under Nonparametric Multiple Comparisons), which is the nonparametric equivalent of the Tukey HSD. The p-values returned in that analysis are corrected p-values, just like the p-values generated from running a Tukey HSD.

I hope this helps!

Julian

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
julian

Hi Opnightfall1771,

The Tukey HSD test returns p-values that have been corrected for the number of independent pair-wise comparisons that are possible given the number of factor levels -- so, those p-values may be interpreted directly and require no further corrections.

The Kruskal-Wallis test you mentioned is the generalization of the Wilcoxon (or Mann-Whitney test) to factors with more than 2 levels, however if you are performing pair-wise tests the analyses are just Wilcoxon tests. The results from selecting (in Fit Y by X) Nonparametric > Nonparametric Multiple Comparisons > Wilcoxon Each Pair are not corrected for multiple comparisons. This is simply the nonparametric version of the "Each Pair Student’s t" option. You could use Bonferroni corrections with those p-values, however this will quickly become overly conservative with many factor levels and you would be better off using a more efficient analysis, such as the Steel-Dwass All Pairs (available under Nonparametric Multiple Comparisons), which is the nonparametric equivalent of the Tukey HSD. The p-values returned in that analysis are corrected p-values, just like the p-values generated from running a Tukey HSD.

I hope this helps!

Julian

Julian,

Thank you so much for the detailed response! This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. Very helpful!

julian

You're welcome!

Julian