Our World Statistics Day conversations have been a great reminder of how much statistics can inform our lives. Do you have an example of how statistics has made a difference in your life? Share your story with the Community!
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Highlighted
shaneline
Level II

Documenting my work flow

I am a new JMP user.   I am a scientist who is analyzing data that I am retrieving from several sources and using JMP, along with other tools, to explore the compiled data.    I have some experience in data management, data analysis and statistic but no formal training in these fields.  I am looking for suggestions on how others record (document) their workflow when using JMP as one of the tools in their work stream.

Have you found either JMP journal or notebook to be adaptable to this need?  Is something like Juypter, even though I am not coding, a better solution?  Any suggestions are appreciated!!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
P_Bartell
Level VI

Re: Documenting my work flow

There are several workflow documentation tools and methods in JMP. Three that come immediately to mind are JSL (JMP Scripting Language), JMP journals, and JMP projects. One of the really cool capabilities in JMP is that whenever you do just about anything, JMP is writing the corresponding JSL commands and remembering them in flow as you execute the JMP session. So many JMP users at the end of a workflow worth saving, save the corresponding JSL code. This code can be shared with other JMP users or perhaps even as evidence of 'how you got the JMP answer'.

JMP journals are JMP specific file structures that can hold a variety of JMP and non JMP related elements such as JMP data tables, jpg files, links to web sites, etc. Many folks will save JMP scripts to JMP journals as a handy way of embedding JSL work within a larger context.

The last I mention are JMP Projects. The way I like to think of a JMP Project is as a container for all manner of JMP and non JMP related items/files etc. that are part of a larger body of work, that is a work project. So let's say you've got Excel files in some folder, and JMP data tables in another, and are working on a PowerPoint presentation to show your boss...a JMP Project allows you to collect all these disparate elements into a single page tabbed user interface with point and click access to all the elements of the project...saving you having to remember where these elements are stored in your Windows/Mac file architecture.

There are several on demand JMP webinars on all these topics...you might want to invest some time watching a few of them to decide which will work best for any task?

Highlighted
shaneline
Level II

Thank you for the feedback!! 

I have started to review some of the different online resources but thought best to ask for advice here first so that I could have a better focus on how I might use these tools to complete my task.  My goal is to have an overall process in mind so that as I use the JMP resources I might more quickly understand how they should be used together.   

So, is it fair to say that in order to document my work an overall process would be to?

1. Begin by creating a Project
  2. Take any action that might be needed (sounds like none is needed) to ensure I will record the JSL code.
  3. Begin a journal to record the text (documentation) normally captured in a lab notebook (purpose, background, source material, method,  interim results and decisions, etc.;)
  4. Performing any work needed to complete my task by writing to the journal as I proceed.
  5. Capturing the JSL code within the Journal
  6. Capturing the journal in the project
  7. Ensure all is saved to the Project

It also sounds as if I will also be able to record those actions, I take outside of the JMP platform as well (minus the JSL code recording equivalent for those steps).

Again.  Thank you for the advice!!

Highlighted
P_Bartell
Level VI

My inital reply assumed you were running JMP 14...if that's the case, I think your workflow makes sense to me. Others may chime in with better/more efficient ideas. If you are running an earlier version of JMP then I'm thinking just embedding everything in a journal might be a more efficient way to go. JMP Project capability was very much completely revamped in version 14.

And not to get too sophisticated but one other capability you may want to look at are JMP Applications. JMP Applications are not unlike building an app for any work task, that can be automated or made easier to use. JMP users commonly build applications for one of two reasons; 1. To automate a workflow for folks that aren't sophisticated JMP users, but they do repetitive analysis/reporting/sharing/distributing, and the application, if built properly makes the worlflow both standard and more mistake proof. 2. Maybe JMP can't do something out of the box, but the user community needs that capability in an easy to use interface...the JMP application is a script or collection of scripts that executes this workflow in an efficient manner.

Highlighted
shaneline
Level II

Hi,

Thanks again!   Yes. I am running JMP 14, so I will start with JMP Projects and go from there. 

The JMP Application sounds handy for the future.   Over the past few years, I was creating monthly routine reports (dashboards) during the data collection phase.   Now the data collection has been completed, locked, and the planned statisitcal anlysis has been completed my efforts are more exploratory;hence, the need to be more rigourous in documenting my work. 

Once I get a routine down,  would it be worth posting about it here for others?

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.