Subscribe Bookmark RSS Feed

Display Data Label for Out of Control Points

SOLVED
Highlighted
jacqueline_lerr

Occasional Contributor

Aug 10, 2016

Hi,

I have 100's of control charts that I generate regularly.  I'd like to set the charts up to display a data label (I've set up the label for which column I want already) for all points that are out of control.  I have figured out how to do this manually by selecting the points and selecting "label," but due to the large quantity of charts that I need to make on a regular baisis, I'd like to have JMP do it automatically. 

I'm not a very advanced user of JMP but am starting to experiment with scripting.  Any help is appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

You can use one of a couple of different methods.

1. Create a subset of the original data table, run the chart on it, then create the summary table, Update it to the subsetted table.  Then repeat for each chart.  You will have a separate data table for each chart.

2. Once you have created the first chart, with the labels etc., copy the chart to a JMP journal.  The copy will be a static copy of what the chart looked like when it was copied.  Then delete the original chart, move on to the next chart and repeat the building of it and copying it to a journal.

Jim
6 REPLIES
txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

As I understand what you want, there are a couple of issues that will have to be worked through to make it work.  The first of these is that the labels, which you want to tie to out of control points on the charts, will change from chart to chart, and since JMP data tables will reflect onto all graphs displayed, the labels, you will either end up with all labels from all control charts displayed on all charts, or if you clear the labels after generating each chart, the out of control points for the last chart will be displayed on all of the generated charts.

So, to over come this, one either has to create a new data table for each chart, or do something like saving each chart as it is created, to a journal or save it as a static graph to your hard drive.  These are doable.

The second issue is determining what points are out of control.  This information is easily obtained by saving the summaries, and then going through the summary table to find the observations that are out of control.  If your charts are "individuals" charts, there is a one to one relationship between the original data table and the summary table, and therefore, the out of control observations from the summary table maps directly to the original table.  But if your control chart has a subgroup size greater than one, then some calculations has to be made to figure out which rows in the original data table match up to the summary table, and then to get the label set in the original table.

So if you can provide the Discussion Community with what the final form of the resulting graphs needs to be, and if your charts are individual charts, I thing we will be in a better position to give you some scripting help.

Jim
jacqueline_lerr

Occasional Contributor

Aug 10, 2016

Hi Jim,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I believe that with your help, I am on the right track.

My charts are Individual Charts.  I have multiple scripts that I run to make a number of charts that I export into .ppt files.  Thereofre, I ran into the issue you mentioned, labeling points on one chart is out of control for one parameter but not others.

I was able to "save summaries" to get the out of control points for each report I need, but how do I map the summary data to the original table as you mention?

Best,

Jackie

jacqueline_lerr

Occasional Contributor

Aug 10, 2016

I just thought this through a bit more.  Is it as simple as making an update data table script to pull the points in to my intial table?

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

You are on the right track......:-)

Jim
jacqueline_lerr

Occasional Contributor

Aug 10, 2016

Thanks! I'm still alittle confused though... 

If I know the points that are out of control for each performance measure, and I get them into columns in my table, how do I flag labels on them without flagging those it in every chart? Is this a more advanced scripting technique?

Really appreciate your help.

txnelson

Super User

Jun 22, 2012

You can use one of a couple of different methods.

1. Create a subset of the original data table, run the chart on it, then create the summary table, Update it to the subsetted table.  Then repeat for each chart.  You will have a separate data table for each chart.

2. Once you have created the first chart, with the labels etc., copy the chart to a JMP journal.  The copy will be a static copy of what the chart looked like when it was copied.  Then delete the original chart, move on to the next chart and repeat the building of it and copying it to a journal.

Jim