Highlighted
Bonesteel
Level I

Difference in Histogram appearance

My boss created this graph:

Fine.JPG

When I try to create the same graph, I get this:

Course.JPG

As far as I can tell, all the settings are the same, including the Y-axis values.  Did he somehow customize the graph, like bin size?  I even looked at the script for his graph and cannot decipher it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Re: Difference in Histogram appearance

Hi, Bonesteel!

Your boss has, indeed, changed the histogram bin increment on his graph.  Perhaps he stylistically prefers the false resolution?

To change the bin increment interactively, get the Grabber tool, and click-and-drag it up or down in the histogram frame.

The "correct" histogram bin increment is actually a difficult problem with considerable contention among different practitioners.  Attached, please find a reference.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Thierry_S
Level VI

Hi, have you checked the X-axis increment: I suspect that the first graph was done with small increments and the second graph with default increments? The odd part is that the X-Axis legends do not reflect this possible explanation.
Best,
TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
Highlighted
Bonesteel
Level I

Hi Thierry,

Yes, the X-axis increment had me confused as well, since everything seemed the same.  The grabber tool allowed me to change how it looked.

Highlighted
Kevin_Anderson
Level VI

Hi, Bonesteel!

Your boss has, indeed, changed the histogram bin increment on his graph.  Perhaps he stylistically prefers the false resolution?

To change the bin increment interactively, get the Grabber tool, and click-and-drag it up or down in the histogram frame.

The "correct" histogram bin increment is actually a difficult problem with considerable contention among different practitioners.  Attached, please find a reference.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Bonesteel
Level I

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the solution.  I knew the grabber could do such things, but I didn't realize it was hidden at the top of the window, and you had to hover over the hidden toolbar for it to appear.

Thanks again!

Article Labels

There are no labels assigned to this post.