cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
rcspencer
Level II

Degrees of freedom discrepency

I am running a mixed model effect on two different dependent variables.  Both variables cosist of continuous, real numbers with no missing data.  However, I get two different degrees of freedom depending on which dependent variable I use in my analysis.  Since they both contain the same number of responses, I don't understand how this is happening.  Any insight?  IIt also looks like there are only 5 responses shown plotted for the dependent variable Prop, while d' displays all 6 data points.  Attached is a subsset of my data which displays the same errors.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Degrees of freedom discrepency

Select Help > Books > Fitting Linear Models. Search on REML to see background information about the estimation merthod and the reports. Search on Kackar-Harville to see details about this adjustment.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rcspencer
Level II

I should specify that it is actually the DFDen that is changing.

I assume that you are using the default REML procedure and its default options to fit this model. As such, the degrees of freedom for the denominator are adjusted and the adjustment depends on the response variable and parameter estimates.

Select Help > Books > Fitting Linear Models. Search on REML to see background information about the estimation merthod and the reports. Search on Kackar-Harville to see details about this adjustment.

rcspencer
Level II

Thanks so much!