cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
asviridov0
Level I

Decision Tree - how to find out leaf/node/branch

Hello,

I am building decision tree and wonder if it is possible to find out leaf/branch/node for each of my observations?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Phil_Kay
Staff

Re: Decision Tree - how to find out leaf/node/branch

You should also try saving the leaf label and/or leaf formula. There are various options in Save Columns from the main hotspot in the partition platform.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Steven_Moore
Level VI

I think you can do what you want by looking at each split leading to any leaf you desire and then setting up a data filter for your data table using those split criteria in the proper order as shown in the tree leading to the leaf.  Select the data points that have been filtered and you have the points located in that particular leaf.

Steve
asviridov0
Level I

Thank you very much smoore2! Your answer makes sense. However, I am looking for a way to automate it. Since my tree will probably have 20 features 2.5 million rows of observations and fine tuning this tree will be very interactive process. So after each change of tree parameters, I will need to construct manual filters. It would be so much easier to see final leaf for each observation right away.

Steven_Moore
Level VI

I kind of knew that would be your response!  Perhaps in a future version of JMP, one could click on the leaf in the final tree and the filtering and/or selection could be automatic!?!?

Steve
Phil_Kay
Staff

You should also try saving the leaf label and/or leaf formula. There are various options in Save Columns from the main hotspot in the partition platform.

asviridov0
Level I

phil.kay, I think you answered it, thank you very much. Not sure how to mark your response as correct answer.